Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1019 times
Been liked: 2500 times

Re: Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Going back to your DiMarzio trademark comment Ash, to my ears the best PAF clone I have heard actually was a DiMarzio. I rate their stuff.
Nash Guitars use Di Marzio's in their new reliced Les Paul range; say the same as you. Perhaps Larry DiMarzio actually owning a 58 Sunburst gives him an edge on the competition.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1212 times
Been liked: 1402 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

My Dimarzio PAF's finally arrived from the states today, so far I'm impressed so will be selling the Slash pups on Trade Me.

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

ash wrote:In my opinion going to this level of detail is a silly waste of time in most cases, but it is what makes the difference to the corksniffy types. My solution to that dilemma is to not bother trying to clone something that far cleverer people have so far failed to do. :lol:
Agree with this. To my mind it get really silly when makers start arguing about whose pups sound most like a PAF vs whose are constructed most like a PAF. Hunt down posts by Dave Stephens of SD Pickups on TGP to get beaten over the head by that one!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

He's right in there with "that crowd". The clips he posted on Youtube comparing his work with a real PAF through an Epiphone (FFS :roll: ) are what convinced me not to bother with these people. If they think those demos proved anything, they're deaf and/or dreaming.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

plain top cherry burst = yum

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I think its crazy the money people pay for vintage PAFs and PAF clones. These DiMarzio's are great and are close enough for me. This Les Paul is pretty much completed for me now. I replaced the hardware with Tone Pros and the wiring with RS guitar works vintage kit. It plays and sounds great for a 20 year old block of wood :D
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I think its crazy the money people pay for vintage PAFs and PAF clones. These DiMarzio's are great and are close enough for me. This Les Paul is pretty much completed for me now. I replaced the hardware with Tone Pros and the wiring with RS guitar works vintage kit. It plays and sounds great for a 20 year old block of wood :D
There is nothing wrong with liking parts that give that little bit extra and even paying a small premium for them is OK. When it becomes less about the sound and more about snobby egocentric stuff, that is what leads to these items becoming so overpriced. Some saddos will pay anything to have sniffery forum bragging rights. Quite shallow really.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

I've heard that the stephens PAF's a amazing

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I think its crazy the money people pay for vintage PAFs and PAF clones.
Look up Ash's excellent "collecting stamps vs. posting letters" comment.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Aquila Rosso wrote: There is nothing wrong with liking parts that give that little bit extra and even paying a small premium for them is OK. When it becomes less about the sound and more about snobby egocentric stuff, that is what leads to these items becoming so overpriced. Some saddos will pay anything to have sniffery forum bragging rights. Quite shallow really.
I agree, paying for good quality components is fine, its the snake oil that seems to get attached to some of these products that gets silly.

"collecting stamps vs. posting letters" is a great analogy.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Is that an actual photo of your guitar sb?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

yep

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Wow,.what camera?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

The RS tone kits do make a significant difference, they made my tone controls useable... still more than happy with my 57 classics though. Tried a couple of options in there but keep coming back to them.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Wow,.what camera?
Nikon D700 and 105mm Macro.... Its the photographer though not the gear right :lol:

Its had a bit of post processing too...