Bridge Pickup Problem

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MilitantCynic
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Bridge Pickup Problem

Post by MilitantCynic »

So lately I've been having a problem with the bridge PUp in two of my guitars. When I switch to the bridge posistion, or sometimes while I'm playing, all tone seems to be sucked out, same with the bottom end. The sound is very tinny, and all round shit :evil:

First guitar is an Ibanez strat shape RX series, with a Seymour Duncan SH-6. This problem only started happening after I got a guy to install the SH-6, and if I wiggle the pup switch, it will go back to normal. However this frequently happens, much more then the other guitar.

Second guitar is a Dean Razorback. I've only just picked this one up, and it's been doing the same thing, just less frequently, and it's harder to get it to work properly again.

Anyone else ever had this problem?
http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21328

According to this thread, I am a repungent amp stealing douchebag. Disregard anything I say or do ;)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4189 times

Re: Bridge Pickup Problem

Post by jeremyb »

My buddies Kelly was doing a very similar thing, I pulled it apart and discovered the pickup wire going onto the switch was all frayed, and only a couple of strands were still attached, quick cut and re-solder and it was good as new :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MilitantCynic
Ashton
Ashton

Post by MilitantCynic »

That sounds like a good place to start :) I'll have to pull it apart next string change. It always seems to happen at the worst times, like when showing a mate a riff so it's about time I got on to it

According to this thread, I am a repungent amp stealing douchebag. Disregard anything I say or do ;)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Sounds like a worn out switch, bad soldering or a stray wire.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Had similar problem with the bridge pickup in the Wolfgang, you could wobble the pickup around until it came back to life, but it died completely. Switch end of the wire is fine, problem appears to be inside the pickup.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

MilitantCynic
Ashton
Ashton

Post by MilitantCynic »

Some Bozo wrote:Had similar problem with the bridge pickup in the Wolfgang, you could wobble the pickup around until it came back to life, but it died completely. Switch end of the wire is fine, problem appears to be inside the pickup.
I don't think the pickups are screwed, the SH-6 was brand new when it was installed, and they both sound mint most of the time... I'm thinking its gotta be the switch or a wire, or both

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

MilitantCycnic wrote:
Some Bozo wrote:Had similar problem with the bridge pickup in the Wolfgang, you could wobble the pickup around until it came back to life, but it died completely. Switch end of the wire is fine, problem appears to be inside the pickup.
I don't think the pickups are screwed, the SH-6 was brand new when it was installed, and they both sound mint most of the time... I'm thinking its gotta be the switch or a wire, or both
I had something not too dissimilar in my Epi LP. Got the switch replaced and it was sweet as after that.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

I have the same problem in one of mine. I resoldered the switch which temporarily fixed it but it's back again now. New switch is the next step.