Strat players, HELP!!!

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Strat players, HELP!!!

Post by Slowy »

I blame Hot Grits; his throwaway lines that contain powerful subliminal messages. :x

I have a very nice Strat loaded with Texas Specials. After a comment of HG's, I can't help noticing how compressed they sound. Tonally, the guitar gives the impression of having a bad cold and this does not compare well with the loud, clear ring of the Korinacaster.

I don't like pups that are either thin or overly hot. I like a big, clear tone that lets the character of the wood shine through. (Mine's ash/maple and much more resonant than some Strats I've played).

I will probably solve this with an email to the peerless Mr. Jason Lollar but before I do, any suggestions for pups that might suit me?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Strat players, HELP!!!

Post by Clarky »

Custom Shop 69s are incredible in everything.
Konx om Pax

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

SD blackouts will bring teh br00tz!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

jeremyb wrote:hd500
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

I've got an Ash wound, lowish output strat pickup that you're welcome to try. If you like it I'm sure he could complete the set. I loved it in the Squier '51.

I asked him for a vintage output version of a Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy (which is also a great sounding strat pickup).

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Clarky wrote:Custom Shop 69s are incredible in everything.
69s are great, not sure about the pickups though.
Tin arse!!

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Terexgeek wrote:
Clarky wrote:Custom Shop 69s are incredible in everything.
69s are great, not sure about the pickups though.
Baboom Dish! :lol:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3556 times
Been liked: 728 times

Post by Cdog »

Why are you asking us? Ask Hot Grits, he started this :P

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

I like the tallboys, very stratty. Get Ash to wind you some, the singles in the Radian are sublime.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Hot Grits has a lot to answer for. He wrecked my PV Classic 50 by telling me it had a confused mid-range. What does that even mean? I don't know, but what I do know is that I was perfectly happy with my amp until he said that, and from then on I could hear nothing but confused mid-range every time I used it. He better not bloody say anything bad about my Dr Z.

Regarding the pickups, the answer is Bare Knuckles. The Mother's Milks did the trick for me after quite a lot of pickup swapping, not as hot as texas specials but more like a fairly fat vintage pickup. Supposedly based on a 60's Strat. I hear the Apache's are the business too.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

The Apaches are indeed wonderful (said without a hint of bias... :roll:). They tick the 'big and clear' box (in fact they tick it with a big, red marker pen) but I suspect they mightn't be quite hot enough for slowfingers. Lowering the Texas Specials could make them sound a bit sweeter, but probably won't be enough of an improvement.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

tallboys
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

mr_sooty wrote:Hot Grits has a lot to answer for. He wrecked my PV Classic 50 by telling me it had a confused mid-range. What does that even mean? I don't know, but what I do know is that I was perfectly happy with my amp until he said that, and from then on I could hear nothing but confused mid-range every time I used it. He better not bloody say anything bad about my Dr Z.

Regarding the pickups, the answer is Bare Knuckles. The Mother's Milks did the trick for me after quite a lot of pickup swapping, not as hot as texas specials but more like a fairly fat vintage pickup. Supposedly based on a 60's Strat. I hear the Apache's are the business too.
Dr Z's have resentment issues and are prone to bouts of depression, especially in the low end
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I got a set of Jerry Amalfitano 62s in one of my strats and they're awesome. Equally good, Bare Knuckle Apaches, Mothers Milk etc....
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

You should try some Lollars, etc.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.