Let's talk about Lace Sensors

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Let's talk about Lace Sensors

Post by slash-ed »

So, I'm in need for a S-S-S set for my Charvel Spectrum that I picked up recently. An annoying quirk is that the pickup route on these is very tight, and will only take SCs without the lip/tab in the middle. So there's not a lot of choice.

Was looking into some SD SSL-6s from ash, but also noticed these popping up on TM:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 573475.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 573346.htm

Anyone have much experience with these? What are your thoughts?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Re: Let's talk about Lace Sensors

Post by Pakehendrix »

I had a Red Lace Sensor in my old strat. I quite liked it, but it definitely wasn't a single coil sound, nor really a humbucker. It just sounds...odd. Kinda...digital? It's hard to explain. As I said, I like the sound, but they don't quite sound like anything else IMO.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7778 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Post by jeremyb »

He's got a bunch more stock of other Lace stuff arriving shortly after NAMM, unrelated, but I'm looking into getting some Alumitones for my RG project.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Pakehendrix wrote:I had a Red Lace Sensor in my old strat. I quite liked it, but it definitely wasn't a single coil sound, nor really a humbucker. It just sounds...odd. Kinda...digital? It's hard to explain. As I said, I like the sound, but they don't quite sound like anything else IMO.
Hmmm, that's bad news for me. I want this weird SSS/Floyd beast of a Charvel to be fairly Stratty, so as to be even more of a confusing guitar :lol:

Anyone tried the Gold/Hot Gold sets? These seem to be more aimed towards a classic SC sound.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I had an '89 Strat Plus as my main axe for 18 years. The Gold Sensors on that sounded great - very Stratty...but I think what Pakehendrix is alluding to is their reasonably linear sort of hifi sound with some amps (Red;s, Blues or Golds). Like through a JC120 they are very sterile...through a 5E3 very nice. Those are extremes but you get the drift. Another thing is you get "moar tone" because they are usually cranked right up close to the strings - no magnetic pull like the old. That means you miss out on some airiness the vintage style brings. They still have a lot of followers, I liked them a lot - they do have their own thing going on for sure.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

slash-ed wrote:Anyone tried the Gold/Hot Gold sets? These seem to be more aimed towards a classic SC sound.
The Hot Gold gets a lot of love on the net, a lot of people reckon it's one of the best noiseless SC's on the market for a genuine SC tone. The Red LS was never meant to sound like a traditional single, it was more of a higher output bridge pickup. The blues were also quite humbuckery, the golds and the silvers were the more traditional SC sound. If it was me I'd be tempted to take a punt on the Hot Golds.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

ive been a lace sensor fan boi from waaaay back. as with most things i tried my first set because its what my fav guitarist (billy corgan) used in his guitars. i have the blue, silver, red combo in 2 of my guitars at the moment. the blue, silver, red setup is pretty damn versatile! the silver gives you a really sweet "jangle".....very single coil sounding. the blue is nice and round, also warm and full...."PAF" like. the red is chunky, cutting and defined......to my ears all 3 pickups have a humbucker'ish tone with the edge of a single coil thrown in to sweeten the deal. they are NOT "vintage" sounding pickups. i also had the gold's (a la eric clapton) in one of my strat deluxe plus's a few years ago and didnt care for them too much, but at the time i was all about the high gain "brootz" and they didnt do too well in that regard but having another set now would be nice i reckon, they are great for low to med-gain blues, rock and they sound awesome clean. the golds are def more "single coil" sounding and more "vintage" eqsue
Little by little, by hook or by crook

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Kloppsta wrote:ive been a lace sensor fan boi from waaaay back. as with most things i tried my first set because its what my fav guitarist (billy corgan) used in his guitars. i have the blue, silver, red combo in 2 of my guitars at the moment. the blue, silver, red setup is pretty damn versatile! the silver gives you a really sweet "jangle".....very single coil sounding. the blue is nice and round, also warm and full...."PAF" like. the red is chunky, cutting and defined......to my ears all 3 pickups have a humbucker'ish tone with the edge of a single coil thrown in to sweeten the deal. they are NOT "vintage" sounding pickups. i also had the gold's (a la eric clapton) in one of my strat deluxe plus's a few years ago and didnt care for them too much, but at the time i was all about the high gain "brootz" and they didnt do too well in that regard but having another set now would be nice i reckon, they are great for low to med-gain blues, rock and they sound awesome clean. the golds are def more "single coil" sounding and more "vintage" eqsue
glad you pipped in man, I was gonna ask 'Ask Kloppsta - he has had been using them since forever'.

:D
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

what about duncan quarter pounds??? no "lip" and just awesome :twisted: :lol: :lol: .....(sorry ed I had to plug them)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

I must admit to being rather impressed by this clip:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdh5eoH4RY[/youtube]

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

willow13 wrote:what about duncan quarter pounds??? no "lip" and just awesome :twisted: :lol: :lol: .....(sorry ed I had to plug them)
Thanks, but I don't really want something quite that high output, and the clips on the SD website which I listened to... I did not fancy.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

slash-ed wrote: I want this weird SSS/Floyd beast of a Charvel to be fairly Stratty, so as to be even more of a confusing guitar :lol:
Get a strat. Or get some humbuckers. Poor Charvel. :lol:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

I already have a Strat.

This Charvel is SSS route stock anyway.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Kloppsta wrote:ive been a lace sensor fan boi from waaaay back. as with most things i tried my first set because its what my fav guitarist (billy corgan) used in his guitars. i have the blue, silver, red combo in 2 of my guitars at the moment. the blue, silver, red setup is pretty damn versatile! the silver gives you a really sweet "jangle".....very single coil sounding. the blue is nice and round, also warm and full...."PAF" like. the red is chunky, cutting and defined......to my ears all 3 pickups have a humbucker'ish tone with the edge of a single coil thrown in to sweeten the deal. they are NOT "vintage" sounding pickups. i also had the gold's (a la eric clapton) in one of my strat deluxe plus's a few years ago and didnt care for them too much, but at the time i was all about the high gain "brootz" and they didnt do too well in that regard but having another set now would be nice i reckon, they are great for low to med-gain blues, rock and they sound awesome clean. the golds are def more "single coil" sounding and more "vintage" eqsue
Thanks dude.

Apparently the new Hot Golds are supposed to be better than the original Gold. I may just have to take a punt on the set, seeing as they're $220 (probably an introductory offer?) on TM vs $300ish for Duncans or similar.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I had some lace sensors once. Would describe them the same way Pakehendrix did - Not quite single coily but not quite rail sounding. They have that single coil clang that everybody wants, but its still different.

Best SC tone I had was from a shitty unbranded pickup in a korean squier. Wish I hadn't messed with it so much haha.