Single Coils or Humbuckers: Why Do You Play What You Play?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Single Coils or Humbuckers: Why Do You Play What You Play?

Post by Pastasauce »

My main guitar is a Gibson SG special faded with seymour duncans. It's nice. I like it.

But for some reason, last night I felt inspired to pull out our old MIM Strat, oil the fretboard, restring it, and have a play. Maybe it's because I've been listening to Pink Floyd lately.

Anyway, I had a good play with it, and the lead tone really struck me... Just a lot smoother and fuller than my SG.

But then I went back to the SG for a bit and realised... I really am a humbuckers guy. When it comes to rhythm, the Strat felt like painting with a broom. The SG felt like a fountain pen. Just so much more "snap", so much more precise. And of course palm muting (just in general - I don't really play metal) gives such a nice, tight thump.

It made me realise, this is why I am a humbuckers guy. Maybe it's the music I grew up listening to or whatever, but it's in my blood.

So it got me thinking, why do we play guitars with the pickups we do? Am I just over thinking it? Or do you have a defined preference?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: Single Coils or Humbuckers: Why Do You Play What You Pla

Post by GrantB »

I've thought about this for most of tonight and I think you are over thinking it.

BUT, being someone who feels more at home with P90's, Filtertrons or humbuckers It's true we all have our preferences. It's natural. It's aural. It's sometimes anal. But most of the time it's just a comfy good feeling that those noise we hear sound right - to us.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

i have a mixture of guitars with single coils and humbuckers and i could never settle for just one or the other. using your analogy, why "paint" with one color?
Little by little, by hook or by crook

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

I play humbuckers because singles in a Les Paul would look funny?

Seriously though, hummies have just been in the guitars that I've owned, and I tend to play with a lot of gain too.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Kloppsta wrote:i have a mixture of guitars with single coils and humbuckers and i could never settle for just one or the other. using your analogy, why "paint" with one color?
I'm working on achieving this...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
Kloppsta wrote:i have a mixture of guitars with single coils and humbuckers and i could never settle for just one or the other. using your analogy, why "paint" with one color?
I'm working on achieving this...
you have some guitars with P90's already dont you? i could be wrong, but they are "technically" single coils arent they? if so, you are well on your way to having a full palette! :D
Little by little, by hook or by crook

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yes indeed, a pile of P90's - I also have a Telecaster and a Strat but I guess I was thinking in terms of being regular first choices for sonic exploration. Currently the Strat = U2, the Tele country twang and raucousness. So ironic that I disliked humbuckers for so long.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I like all sorts of pickups, but the main thing for me it's having a good balance of sustain and bite. I used to be primarily singles, but I love the mini hummies in my reverend. I love p90s but I've never owned a guitar with them. I like singles as long as they're fat sounding ones, not too thin, and I like buckers as long as they're bright ones that aren't too muddy. I don't like the lack of bottom end detail with a lot of buckers. Mini buckers and p90s seem to be the most balanced pickups to me.
Last edited by mr_sooty on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Couldn't live without both HH and HSS!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

There's a single coil in the middle position on my RG, but I don't think I've ever used it, just a humbucker guy I guess :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I like all pickups, including hex.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

jeremyb wrote:There's a single coil in the middle position on my RG, but I don't think I've ever used it, just a humbucker guy I guess :?
THAT I can understand. All sounds the same through an HD.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I've jumped between single coiled Telecasters in indie/pop bands and humbuckered SG's/Explorers in heavier groups. My three main guitars (SG, Explorer, Thinline tele) are all coil tapped because I like the idea of being able to play anything on any of them in both my covers and originals band.

Personally, I love the sound of neck single coils, and bridge humbuckers if I had to pick a particular combo. But it all comes down to other factors for me, like which of my amps I'm using, or what suits the song more to my ears.

I did at one stage, own a guitar with a single bridge humbucker. I was quite surprised to find this guitar did pretty much everything with a bit of volume/tone/gain tweaking.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have never owned a guitar with a single coil in the bridge so have zero idea if it useable for me or not....but I love the sound of a neck single coil and use one often. I also love the sound of a neck humbucker so am easy either way really

I too have never found the use for a middle pick up....any time I have tried to use it it tends to sound to harsh for me
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I don't think Jesus cares what type of pickup you use, so long as you have a dotted 8th delay on it.