Single Coils or Humbuckers: Why Do You Play What You Play?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Single Coils or Humbuckers: Why Do You Play What You Pla

Post by mr_sooty »

BG wrote:
Vorbis wrote:
slowfingers wrote:Since my Son keeps draining my R9/335/LP Junior piggybank, I am confident there is one of these little Godins in my near future. Do much like.
BG, I thought More Beer had God's pickups?
BG bought the Bareknuckles from Sooty?
dude, though I've enjoyed my fair share of mothers milk over the years, I'd never actually buy a pickup named that. Or two of them even.
Not even with a free Fender bridge pickup? Oh well never mind.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

If I still had the ratty strat (damn) I'd be all over those Sooty
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

slowfingers wrote: I am confident there is one of these little Godins in my near future. Do much like.
I'm actually one of those weird people who aren't attracted to the look/feel of Les Pauls. The Godin had my name on it though - I was watching the auction but got busy and missed out on bidding. The auction finished so I requested a relist, which didn't happen. I thought "Argh, the one that got away!".. but I noticed the seller had listed something else so I asked a question on their other auction "Sorry to intrude but are you still interested in selling the Godin?".. they replied saying "My son used my account to list that one - i'll talk to him".. I gave my email and tadaaaaaa I was in contact with the guy. Arranged a meet-up, bundled the wife and kids in the car and drove to Auckland to pick it up. $500.... what's that? A quarter the price of a decent LP? Super super happy. Not sure if the 5 way coil-split switch is aftermarket or stock. The pickups look different from each other so I think one or both of them are aftermarket (haven't opened up to have a look yet). Highly highly recommended!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I suspect aftermarket - mines only a 3 way, other than that identical. Apart from the big 'MORE BEER' sticker on the back ;) No idea what the original pups are like as these are different. But it definitely has the same sort of feel for me as my LP and bags of sustain due in part to the 5 bold huge neck joint I imagine. The bonus being I don't cry when it gets dinged. When did you get that one? I was watching one as a backup a while ago ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

There some great sample bucker, p-90, and mini-bucker sounds on the Reverend Guitars site, for reference.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend ... mples.html

The p-90 "clean blues" sounds so authentic 50's blues it's brilliant.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Don't know much about Godins... whats this like ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 670157.htm
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Don't know much about Godins... whats this like ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 670157.htm
Imho, bang for buck at that price. If it was the humbuggly version, that would be mine.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Haven't tried that model, but its a Godin - they aren't epiphones, you won't have to change anything, they use solid parts.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

BG wrote:they use sold parts.
Like, used?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Singles ( i.e. a strat) when I want bite and twang and that metallic shine to the notes, humbuckers when I want thick graunchy attack and solidness of tone. Probably my most fun sound out of a guitar is humbuckers with ludicrous amounts of distortion and reverb, so each pick attack jumps out like a little explosion.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Predator12212112
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Predator12212112 »

i play a les paul with classic alnico humbuckers, i personallly think humbuckers give much more of a crunchy and chunky sound, but it all comes down to what you like :D
Epiphone les paul plustop PRO/FX
IBANEZ RG
SQUIER AFFINITY (SUCKS)
VOX VT30 VALVETRONIX
MARSHALL MS-2