Theory on killing single coil hum

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: Theory on killing single coil hum

Post by GrantB »

calling card wrote:Sail on my little buzzy strat bee... :D
Actually, you might have a similar scenario to me given where you live....I have a nice click track available at any time through my amp at home. TRouble is it's only one speed.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Take the religion out of it - everyone. Or I'll be screwing with your posts and you won't like it.
a srs post from me for once.
it shouldn't be that hard to remove religion from the post soot (and minimise the potential for any kind of sniping).
many artists play at the MFC (your group being one of the regular ones), but it could as easily describe the scenario to say "playing covers at the MFC with a giant lighting rig cos we like the big lights, and the production manager insists on it so it's beyond my means to eliminate it at that end".. context may not need any further elaboration than that.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

spazgrinder
Stagg
Stagg

Post by spazgrinder »

at the end of the day it's night \m/\m/

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
calling card wrote:Sail on my little buzzy strat bee... :D
Actually, you might have a similar scenario to me given where you live....I have a nice click track available at any time through my amp at home. TRouble is it's only one speed.
Yeah the regular click>click of the farmers fence next door broadcast through the tweed.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

rocklander wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:Take the religion out of it - everyone. Or I'll be screwing with your posts and you won't like it.
a srs post from me for once.
it shouldn't be that hard to remove religion from the post soot (and minimise the potential for any kind of sniping).
many artists play at the MFC (your group being one of the regular ones), but it could as easily describe the scenario to say "playing covers at the MFC with a giant lighting rig cos we like the big lights, and the production manager insists on it so it's beyond my means to eliminate it at that end".. context may not need any further elaboration than that.
Sorry to derail slightly, but why should he have to not mention that it's a church gig? That's hardly an open invitation to discuss/debate religion now is it?

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

cos the admin said
*UNIQUE* wrote:Take the religion out of it - everyone.
and cos sooty himself said he's sick of the constant attacks.. remove the target and attacks are far less likely, and will prolly have better chances than waiting for some of us to grow up.

or he can keep on doing as he's always done, as will others.. and the cycle will continue... including thread locking etc.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

rocklander wrote:cos the admin said
*UNIQUE* wrote:Take the religion out of it - everyone.
and cos sooty himself said he's sick of the constant attacks.. remove the target and attacks are far less likely, and will prolly have better chances than waiting for some of us to grow up.

or he can keep on doing as he's always done, as will others.. and the cycle will continue... including thread locking etc.
Fair point.

I think it's ridiculous that he should be expected not to mention that it's a church gig though. If I say that I'm a [insert political party here] supporter, it's a bit different from starting a debate about politics.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

and if you did say that, and every time you said it you got given shit, you'd have a choice to make... stop saying it, or accept the shit is going to keep coming.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

rocklander wrote:and if you did say that, and every time you said it you got given shit, you'd have a choice to make... stop saying it, or accept the shit is going to keep coming.
benderissimo wrote: Fair point.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

slowfingers wrote:
BG wrote:I'm a bit perplexed by it. Why would you want to force a signal through shielding? A ground signal is even more intriguing. The 6db is a pure bullshit call. The idea behind star grounding is to kill any ground loops - its a completely different scenario as to what the shielding is for.
As I understand it YMMV etc.
A wild guess born of dangerously little knowledge: If you force the signal through your shielding foil, aren't you creating a Faraday cage which, if I understand correctly, is a very efficient type of shield?
Doesn't a faraday cage require the shielding all the way around the cavity, including on the cover plate? Not that I could claim I would be able to hear the difference, but some believe the full shielding of the pot cavity and thus creating a faraday cage negatively affects tone...

So how do DiMarzio area's cancel hum? To quote the DiMarzio website, their "ability to cancel hum is superior to full-size humbuckers." How so, and why? I thought most single coil humless were stacked coils....I'm just all confused now. :lol:

I dunno, Sooty. It all seems damned if you do, damned if you don't. You want full classic 50/60s strat tones, with virtually no hum. The power system back then certainly wasn't as reliably clean as it is today, so how did they manage? (Humbuckers were designed to cancel hum, more output was side effect?)
I don't know enough to comment on the type of lighting they used compared to now. Do LEDs affect single coil hum significantly?

Oh well, back to playing my superstrat with active humbuckers :lol:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

What superstrat with active humbuckers did you purchase?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

how is michael fowler these days anyway???....maybe some one could email him and tell him about said problem with interference, not the he would give a flying fader about it.

I like single coils in the neck but not in the bridge

and I don't like people who pay to have coffee made for them

and i like maple....A LOT
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

mr_sooty wrote: Well the problem is that whatever we post about becomes a chance to mock our beliefs - this thread was supposed to be about single coil hum, and even if there was a worship sub-forum I wouldn't have posted it there because it was a technical question. A couple of sensible questions lead me to put it into context with my particular situation, which lead to more of the usual hilarious religion bashing from the intelligent and insightful contributors to this forum. Sure you could start a Worship sub-forum, but I imagine that'd just invite more of the same wouldn't it? I could just stay on the Christian guitarist forum and not come here, but not many people on those forums know much about the technical side of gear, and I mistakenly thought people here would actually be interested in the ideas in my original post and might have some interesting insights into it, given that there's quite a few people here with much more technical knowledge than me. It really sucks how I can't post anything here without it degenerating into this kind of crap.
Are you aware of the p&w forum affiliated to The Gear Page?

Seems like the ultra-super-ideal place to ask tech questions along the lines of 'I play in a big church and the lights are giving me greif'. Custom built.

http://praiseandworshipforum.com/forum/index.php
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Scooter13 wrote:
Doesn't a faraday cage require the shielding all the way around the cavity, including on the cover plate?
That's exactly what mine has. Soldered copper foil everywhere including the underside of the pickguard.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

*UNIQUE* wrote: Back to single coil theory - what about Lace Sensors? Aren't they mean to be quiet under lights etc?
the dimarzio's I have now are really quiet and sound really good. They've pretty much solved my problem. I was just curious when I saw that post as it's a topic I'm interested in.

regarding the whole thing about pretending I'm in a covers band and not mentioning I play at church - really? I'm here because I'm a NZ guitarist, and this is a forum for NZ guitarists, and I've made some good friends here. Church is pretty much the only place I play guitar so everything is in that context for me. I'm not here to Bible bash, I'm just here to talk about guitars, but I am who I am. I didn't raise any thing about religion except the simple fact that the single coil hum was a problem in church. It's a shame that people just can't help putting the boot in at that point.