Metal Pickup demos & Axe FX patch/settings

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Metal Pickup demos & Axe FX patch/settings

Post by Tonemaker »

Just stumbled on this looking for the old Duncun Invaiders..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYDYiOIuC8[/youtube]
Last edited by Tonemaker on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Metal Pickup demos

Post by Tonemaker »

Is it the Axe fx that is sounding like that, thats pretty tight and some pretty rad picking...was trying to figure out exactly how he was picking... he had some kinda of technique going on thats for sure...
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Metal Pickup demos

Post by higainer »

They all sounded quite similar to me.
The only ones of noticeable difference were the Dimebucker & Trembucker TB15.
Dimebucker seemed brighter than the Blackouts. The TB15 sounded like it had more mids.

Is it a traight of the AXE FX to make things sound a bit samey?

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Metal Pickup demos & Axe FX patch/settings

Post by Tonemaker »

The invaders seemed to have more mids to me... I was actually looking for the duncun invaders that came out in the 80's ... I guess those arent around any more...

Here ya go Higainer, VHT goods, nice bottom cab too... Jeff Loomis doing the lead work

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89s-d8Zs ... lf=channel[/youtube]

That guys got alot of videos

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

higainer wrote:They all sounded quite similar to me.
The only ones of noticeable difference were the Dimebucker & Trembucker TB15.
Dimebucker seemed brighter than the Blackouts. The TB15 sounded like it had more mids.

Is it a traight of the AXE FX to make things sound a bit samey?
I guess playing the same tune on the same settings in largely the same guitars with pickups from the same manufacturer designed for roughly the same genre of music, you wouldn't expect to hear a huge amount of variation?

Sorry, that sounds really sarky and isn't meant to, just couldn't think of a better way to put it.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by higainer »

hamo wrote:I guess playing the same tune on the same settings in largely the same guitars with pickups from the same manufacturer designed for roughly the same genre of music, you wouldn't expect to hear a huge amount of variation?
Fair point.

There are certain tube amps that are more revealing than others to subtilties in guitars & pickups etc.
VHT's/ Cornfords for example.

Probably a bad comparison, tube vs digital.

Not raggin on the Axe Fx, they look awesome.
Just wondering, is all.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Hamo, I think you would think that from listening to a youtube video, but in person they each are quite a bit different... I could hear differences. I thought the invaiders sounded like more mids.. maybe it could be your computer speakers or headphones that its not coming through to very well. Also youtube videos are not the best way to listen to something like that... I felt the same way with the speaker shoot out, I couldnt hardly tell any difference but im sure there is night and day difference with speakers... I played the MT blackouts in person and there massive, seemed like 3 times the output of normal pickups, you have to turn the amp way down..

On another video he does he does a shootout with the hd pro or 600 and an axe fx and I thought I liked the hd600 more for some of it... thats always interesting to me becuase the axe fx is expensive as...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

Fair call, the onboard speakers on my new laptop aren't great. FWIW I could tell some difference between some of the pickups. My comment was really more along the lines that you wouldn't expect extreme tonal variation. Couldn't comment on the Axe vs amp thing because I've never seen one first hand.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

It's too produced to hear any major difference. Can hear about 3 tracks playing for each pickup which starts to make the differences a bit less discernible, lol

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

as far as the axe fx thing is concerned, the answer imho is 100% NO!!! my axe 2 responded and reacted very differently with each of my guitars and their different pickups. even more so than any of the tube amps i own or have owned. playing the same preset on the axe using the same guitar but with 2 different sets of pickups yielded different results, as you would expect any good amp to do. the axe fx in no way at all makes everything sound "samey"
Little by little, by hook or by crook

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by higainer »

See, thats what I was wondering.
I was hoping you'd chime in as a previous Axe owner.....straight from the horses mouth, as it were :D

Yeah those Axe Fx's seem the shizzle alright 8)

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

higainer wrote:See, thats what I was wondering.
I was hoping you'd chime in as a previous Axe owner.....straight from the horses mouth, as it were :D

yeah i sort of feel like a tool commenting on the axe now that i dont own it any more and had it for such a short time. but it really does interact with guitars as you'd expect and hope it would.
i reckon if and when they do an axe 3 ill get back on the bandwagon just because by that time you'll be able to press a button and it will send out magic faries that sprinkle fairy dust onto you to make you play like vai, petrucci, satch, beck, jimi, eddie and clapton all rolled into one :)
Little by little, by hook or by crook

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Kloppsta wrote:
higainer wrote:See, thats what I was wondering.

yeah i sort of feel like a tool commenting on the axe now that i dont own it any more and had it for such a short time. but it really does interact with guitars as you'd expect and hope it would.
i reckon if and when they do an axe 3 ill get back on the bandwagon just because by that time you'll be able to press a button and it will send out magic faries that sprinkle fairy dust onto you to make you play like vai, petrucci, satch, beck, jimi, eddie and clapton all rolled into one :)
is it off the wagon or on? And what's the deal with the razors in airplane bathrooms, are they actually shaving in there?
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks