Acoustic Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Acoustic Pickups

Post by KentNZ »

OK, so, perhaps buying a $6k Gibson may not be my best option to improve my (pre expression system) Taylor's plugged in sound. Thinking something like an LR Baggs M80. Any other recommendations for pickups for acoustics?
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Acoustic Pickups

Post by ash »

I really like the Baggs iBeam. Just fitted them to a couple of DC's acoustics and he seems to like them too.

DTar does some good stuff too.

Invisible and non-intrustive installations.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm a fan of the dtar, multi source. Cool sounding, and you don't have to drill copious holes into the side of your guitar.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Taylor
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Taylor »

KentNZ wrote:OK, so, perhaps buying a $6k Gibson may not be my best option to improve my (pre expression system) Taylor's plugged in sound. Thinking something like an LR Baggs M80. Any other recommendations for pickups for acoustics?
LR Baggs Anthem SL for awesome sonic wave bass boost... Only issue is the cost. What's the tonewood on your Taylor?

Or you could just install the ES, would have to be shipped from the US though, and presuming you can find a luthier who knows how to install it. Truth be told I compared my Taylor's third generation ES to my Martin's K&K a few nights ago and there was just no contest - the ES is the most beautiful, pure sounding pickup there is, made the Martin sound like a crappy undistorted Squire Stratocaster in comparison. Martin's GPCPA F1 Auras can't compete either, although they sound fantastic too.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Taylor wrote:
KentNZ wrote:OK, so, perhaps buying a $6k Gibson may not be my best option to improve my (pre expression system) Taylor's plugged in sound. Thinking something like an LR Baggs M80. Any other recommendations for pickups for acoustics?
LR Baggs Anthem SL for awesome sonic wave bass boost... Only issue is the cost. What's the tonewood on your Taylor?

Or you could just install the ES, would have to be shipped from the US though, and presuming you can find a luthier who knows how to install it. Truth be told I compared my Taylor's third generation ES to my Martin's K&K a few nights ago and there was just no contest - the ES is the most beautiful, pure sounding pickup there is, made the Martin sound like a crappy undistorted Squire Stratocaster in comparison. Martin's GPCPA F1 Auras can't compete either, although they sound fantastic too.
Taylor NZ can install them of course ... we had a customers anniversary edition 314CE fall over and smashed the front of the guitar. The guy got it upgraded to the current ES model because the old model was no longer available. So it was a sweet deal for him as it was all covered by insurance.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.