Bill Lawrence 500L

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Bill Lawrence 500L

Post by badmotor »

I'm thinking about getting some of these to chuck into a guitar - the only demos I can find are guys trying to be Dimebag... I'm more a heavy rock guy (not metal). Are they good for that? What's a good model? I don't need tons of output though - I see you can get them from BL himself, or BL USA (his ex-partner?) which adds to the confusion. Does it matter?
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Re: Bill Lawrence 500L

Post by hamo »

Nuno used these too I believe?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

What guitar are they prospectively going into?

BL vs BLUSA, yes there is a big difference, apparently. I've only ever bought them from BL himself.

I've had the L500XL (the one dime used) with an L500R in the neck, as well as L500L/R IIRC.

I liked them at the time because that's what I was into, tonewise... but today I'm not sure if I still would. They're not your traditional sort of super high output. They're quite a balanced pickup in terms of EQ, which can make them feel a little clinical compared to other pickups with big boosts in the mids or highs or whatever.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

slash-ed wrote:... They're quite a balanced pickup in terms of EQ, which can make them feel a little clinical compared to other pickups with big boosts in the mids or highs or whatever.
Actually, this description reminds me of what I don't like about EMGs. Might re-think what I need.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

badmotor wrote:
slash-ed wrote:... They're quite a balanced pickup in terms of EQ, which can make them feel a little clinical compared to other pickups with big boosts in the mids or highs or whatever.
Actually, this description reminds me of what I don't like about EMGs. Might re-think what I need.
these 2 posts kinda sums them up for me (I have 2 of the xl's)....I always put them as almost passive EMG's in that they sound exactly the same all the time. I feel with passive pick ups they interact with your amp (and I guess your picking etc as well) so you kinda get different feels out of them....this generally is not the case with the BL. They are very good at what they do, but get boring to my ears
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be