Noiseless P90s

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Noiseless P90s

Post by SixGunLover »

I'm looking at getting a guitar with P90s but am a bit concerned about issues with hum or microphonics when playing at stage volume or with higher levels of gain. I used to play single coils in my strat but ended up getting Dimarzio Area replacements.

I've heard lots of stuff about the hum being 'part of the magic' with P90s or that the noiseless offerings just aren't up to snuff. I heard a clip of some Kinman noiseless P90s on Youtube that sounded alright (although the price is crazy).

Can anyone with experience with noiseless P90s give me their take on what's available? I'd also be interested in hearing people's experience with regular P90s at stage volume or with higher levels of gain.

Thanks in advance to those who respond - I appreciate the help.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Noiseless P90s

Post by druz15 »

I've only ever noticed a major problem with noise when standing relatively close to the amp. My LPjr was obnoxiously loud if there was any kind of distortion/fuzz and I was within say a metre of the amp. That's kind of expected though
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

Part of the true P90 magic is the fact they are "alive"....change that and you lose some of the tonal WOW....IMO
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Noiseless P90s

Post by Eruera »

The P90s in my Sheraton are quiet as, the overall noise level is about the same as my humbuggy LP unless I'm right by the amp or accidentally wind the dimmer

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3497 times
Been liked: 714 times

Post by Cdog »

I have a guitar with Dimarzio Virtual P90 neck and DLX-90 bridge.

Bought Virtual p90 first, sounded really good in both pozzies. Got the older DLX90 on spesh for $60, sounds as good, only a lil warmer flavour... so ideal for bridge.
Hand on heart... the only disadvantage is the look. :oops: They sound fantastic, definite keepers.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Yeah, you've got to be right by your amp, or facing it.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

I fitted a pair of GFS dream 90s into a 335 copy for a bandmate. Quiet as but still agressive and pleasing to the ear. Actually even the SD antiquities arent that noticeable and they are unpotted. Love them Antiquities !
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have the GFS mean 90's which are gruntier and very quiet, also the neck is reverse wound so they are hum cancelling in the middle position :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

jeremyb wrote:I have the GFS mean 90's which are gruntier and very quiet, also the neck is reverse wound so they are hum cancelling in the middle position :)

This is true. And also very inexpensive.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

Just to contradict myself, one of my Jnr's has a Lollar and aside from soundign amazing, it's quiet (especially when compared to 1953 P90's).
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

Timoes wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I have the GFS mean 90's which are gruntier and very quiet, also the neck is reverse wound so they are hum cancelling in the middle position :)

This is true. And also very inexpensive.
Amazing bang for your buck! I put a set of their retrotrons in my Gretch and they are brilliant!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.