Getting my guitar to be something it isn't: Revisited

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

handlefras
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Getting my guitar to be something it isn't: Revisited

Post by handlefras »

Single coil wrote:Actually the lollar looks cool with the ground wire. Often wondered about 4way switching.
I have the 4way switching in mine. Very cool option. The one downside (which may not be the case with all pickups/wiring schemes) is the two of the switch positions are quite noisy. I'm using Dimarzio Areas (noiseless) and they are dead quiet in the other two positions. The problem is caused by the switching scheme which leaves the neck pup ungrounded and therefore acting as a big antenna. I haven't yet found a solid solution other than twisting the lead wires and cutting them as short as possible (this only reduces the noise slightly).
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

That's the beauty of the lollar.
Didn't buy it though, got a twisted tele one for about 1/3 the price. It either has super long wires, or there's a ground in there too. If there is, 4way ahoy.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

handlefras wrote:
Single coil wrote:Actually the lollar looks cool with the ground wire. Often wondered about 4way switching.
I have the 4way switching in mine. Very cool option. The one downside (which may not be the case with all pickups/wiring schemes) is the two of the switch positions are quite noisy. I'm using Dimarzio Areas (noiseless) and they are dead quiet in the other two positions. The problem is caused by the switching scheme which leaves the neck pup ungrounded and therefore acting as a big antenna. I haven't yet found a solid solution other than twisting the lead wires and cutting them as short as possible (this only reduces the noise slightly).
I'm just about to order the gear to wire up mine. I was thinking about the four way switch too.

I've seen a schematic where the chrome cover of the pickup is grounded separately. Does that help the situation, or is it best to stick with the standard 3 way wiring?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

willow13 wrote:aquila rossa is that you and your les paul/SG :?: :?: ..... :moresarc:
hey, don't mock. that trying to make a SG be an LP is serious stuff :geek:

re: OP and wanting the pup to sound like a Strat. I am generally in the wood and guitar design does effect the sound camp, so i think putting a strat pup in a tele will result in it sounding like a strat pup in a tele, with the character of the tele shining through. Seems no matter what pups people put in a Telecaster, they sound more or less like one.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

AiRdAd wrote:I've seen a schematic where the chrome cover of the pickup is grounded separately. Does that help the situation, or is it best to stick with the standard 3 way wiring?
If it's grounded, great. In theory there should be no noise. Easy to bugger your pickup doing it though, so be careful.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I am generally in the wood and guitar design does effect the sound camp,
i'm in that camp as well, a strat has a built in reverb tank and a whole lot less wood than a tele which contribute to the sound the pickups make as well as the other way around
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

handlefras
Gibson

Post by handlefras »

Single coil wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I've seen a schematic where the chrome cover of the pickup is grounded separately. Does that help the situation, or is it best to stick with the standard 3 way wiring?
If it's grounded, great. In theory there should be no noise. Easy to bugger your pickup doing it though, so be careful.
Just to be clear - my neck pup cover is grounded via the third wire. The ungrounded wire is one of the two regular pickup leads. It is grounded in two switch positions but is lifted (at the switch) from ground in the other two.

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

I put SD 1/4pounders in my old nashville to get it fatter sounding.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

handlefras wrote:Just to be clear - my neck pup cover is grounded via the third wire. The ungrounded wire is one of the two regular pickup leads. It is grounded in two switch positions but is lifted (at the switch) from ground in the other two.
That's what's supposed to get rid of the grounding issue.
Hrm. :?

handlefras
Gibson

Post by handlefras »

Had me stumped for days and no amount of forum reading and re-wiring could solve it. However, I suspect this is an isolated case, probably related to the style of pickup (stacked hummer), the length of the lead wires (longer due to my reversed control plate) and the price of fish in Russia. You'll be fine.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Can we have a picture of the ground wire you've added?

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

willow13 wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I am generally in the wood and guitar design does effect the sound camp,
i'm in that camp as well, a strat has a built in reverb tank and a whole lot less wood than a tele which contribute to the sound the pickups make as well as the other way around
Yeah I'm in this camp too.

To me a strat sounds thinner and I can only really put it down to the fact that the body has less to it. Teles are a good solid slab of wood and just seem to have more balls.

You could try cutting a belly and arm rest slot out of the body?
Nothing to see here.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Noooooope, that means refinishing. Also I've just taken a decent chunk out to fit the battery for the booster.
The pickup's on its way - If it works, it works.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Twisted Teles sound amazeballs
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

handlefras wrote:Had me stumped for days and no amount of forum reading and re-wiring could solve it. However, I suspect this is an isolated case, probably related to the style of pickup (stacked hummer), the length of the lead wires (longer due to my reversed control plate) and the price of fish in Russia. You'll be fine.
Yep, id say its the pickup type.
I have just wired my tele up 4 way switch styles.
First issue I encountered was that when i isolated the neck pickup cover and grounded it to the volume pot, it resulted in the neck pup ALWAYS being on regardless of switch position. I just ended up groundin git to the final switch postion where the neck pup grounds and its fine. I dont have ANY noise problems really and all 4 positions work great. i really like the pups in series fatter sound. Makes the tele alot more versatile.