P-90 Pots

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

P-90 Pots

Post by Richy11 »

Am considering throwing a P-90 of some sort into my FrankenStrat, and I realise I have no idea if they are normally paired with a 250k or 500k pot. Or does it not even matter?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: P-90 Pots

Post by jeremyb »

I use 500's with mine :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I always use 500k for tone, you can always back it off a bit. I would try 500 for volume and if you find it too spikey then solder a 510k resistor across the outer terminals of vol the pot.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

I've never tried resistors across any of the pots, might have to give it a crack. Also considered a Seymour Duncan P-Rail, but haven't heard much about them. Or even seen one in a guitar as of yet.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Richy11 wrote:I've never tried resistors across any of the pots, might have to give it a crack. Also considered a Seymour Duncan P-Rail, but haven't heard much about them. Or even seen one in a guitar as of yet.
I did that with a Strat upgrade recently. Not sure I could tell the difference and it made the job more fiddly (I start out with the best of intentions but end up melting something).

Often thought about a Strat with three P90s. Bet that'd be cool.

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

Molly wrote:
Richy11 wrote:I've never tried resistors across any of the pots, might have to give it a crack. Also considered a Seymour Duncan P-Rail, but haven't heard much about them. Or even seen one in a guitar as of yet.
I did that with a Strat upgrade recently. Not sure I could tell the difference and it made the job more fiddly (I start out with the best of intentions but end up melting something).

Often thought about a Strat with three P90s. Bet that'd be cool.
I saw a photo somewhere a while ago of Eddie Van Halen playing a Tele with what appeared to be 3 P90's.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I had them on a guitar for several years. Was happy with them but found I mostly just used the P90 so I changed to them haha!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

The P-Rails do a lot of tones, but none of them well ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote:
The P-Rails do a lot of tones, but none of them well ;)
This.

500k pots for me too, I like to tame the kerrrang with the tone pot
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

500k generally gives up a bit more top end.. If you are looking for a non Gibson p90 the Harmonic Design made versions are very cool.. I put a hum sized model in a crappy 90 epi Coronet that I use for slide and it sounds killer..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

And welcome Mr W!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves