P90s; who has an opinion?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

corsair
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: P90s; who has an opinion?

Post by corsair »

Ooh... I forgot to post about the P90s in an old Westone Spectrum!! So here we are, then... Matt supplied the pickups and was excellent to deal with, I have to say - good on you, mate!, - so I have these beautiful cream P90s and no guitar to throw 'em into as the project has hit a speedbump or two...

So, hies me forth to the workshop and digs out a Spectrum ST, which never had stellar pickups and has been a trial plank for loads of pickups, installs the Wilkinsons, and.... well, at first I wasn't sure what I should be hearing - I've had nothing to do with P90s ever before and so was initially a little under-whelmed because they weren't immediately the Second Coming or the Apocalypse! However, after dicking around a little with amp settings and tone knobs, I'm starting to see why they're well-regarded; the cleans are just SO clean and bright and sparkly, then it'll break up very smoothly indeed when you desire to do so.

I've had them in a while now and I really rather like them; the guitar sits on a stand with a super-Strat, an electric 12 and my blue and gold sparkly metal thing so most every sound I want, I can get with a minimum of fuss... I'll find a photo ASAP...

There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

They look really good in that Westone. I have underwound P90's in my ES-330 and they are exactly as you describe.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

I've got P90s in my surfbardcaster. They have a sweet clean sound but also awesome with dirt pedals.
Attachments
Surfboardcaster.jpg
He who dies with the most toobs... wins