Wiring Question

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Wiring Question

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey guys, I am trying to wire an HSS setup but I was wondering If there is anyone who I can email, I have a few questions (with pictures). please let me know!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Wiring Question

Post by Marshmallow »

I've got the TBX + 5 way selector, and push pull for volume. Those ones I can wire no problem, but how do I tap the mini toggle to do the (neck + humbucker) mod? As far as i know it just completely changes. I've got the ON/ON toggle DPDT (do i just ues one side to make it On off. haha). Or is there a diagram I can put together?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Don't know if it'll help but there are a stack of diagrams at the Seymour Duncan website. Might find the one you're looking for there.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Wiring Question - Noob alert!

Post by Marshmallow »

Molly wrote:Don't know if it'll help but there are a stack of diagrams at the Seymour Duncan website. Might find the one you're looking for there.
I checked it but there's nothing.

I found this diagram though.

I have 5 questions.
1.) How do I replace the standard volume pot with a push pull/ coil split for humbucker. there seem to be 5 wires here. I suppose the gray is just bare?
2.) I noticed that the TBX has an extra capacitor .001UF. I was wondering if it can be replaced with just a standard wire?
3.) do you think the mini toggle in the diagram shown will work as ON/ON DPDT for my neck+ humbucker mod? (i suppose its on off too).

And I found this too. I suppose it helps with the split coil
4.) How do I connect this to the rest of the pots and selector .
last but not the least 5.) I have the standard fender 5 way switch from tone lounge. the pin pattern seems mirrored from the 5 way selector diagram.. Do I just copy it too but mirrored?

Someone pls help me thank you!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

My understanding is yes, the tax control needs the capacitor to work as it is supposed to, but they are easy to source.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Marshmallow wrote:
Molly wrote:Don't know if it'll help but there are a stack of diagrams at the Seymour Duncan website. Might find the one you're looking for there.

I have 5 questions.
1.) How do I replace the standard volume pot with a push pull/ coil split for humbucker. there seem to be 5 wires here. I suppose the gray is just bare?
2.) I noticed that the TBX has an extra capacitor .001UF. I was wondering if it can be replaced with just a standard wire?
3.) do you think the mini toggle in the diagram shown will work as ON/ON DPDT for my neck+ humbucker mod? (i suppose its on off too).

last but not the least 5.) I have the standard fender 5 way switch from tone lounge. the pin pattern seems mirrored from the 5 way selector diagram.. Do I just copy it too but mirrored?

1) Do you mean the wires going to the back of the pot? They're all ground wires, so you can just solder them to the push pull.
2) Techinically yes, it can be replaced with a piece of wire but it's how the treble part of that circuit works so don't. I can send you a cap if you need.
3) Yes
4) Just pick a pot and transfer the current wiring you have there on to this one
5) Yes

Let's take a step back though and get a bit more detail.

So you've got a Strat.
What has it go currently (type of pickups? Does it have TBX or are you adding that?)
What are you trying to tweak? (Are you looking to add the neck and humbucker in series or parallel? Are you looking to add the neck and a single coil from the humbucker together? Are you wanting to get the bridge humbucker to be able to split to single coil at any time or just in a certain config?)

I ask because it looks like you've got a lot you're trying to do and it could get pretty messy.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

TmcB wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:

I have 5 questions.

1) Do you mean the wires going to the back of the pot? They're all ground wires, so you can just solder them to the push pull.
2) Techinically yes, it can be replaced with a piece of wire but it's how the treble part of that circuit works so don't. I can send you a cap if you need.
3) Yes
4) Just pick a pot and transfer the current wiring you have there on to this one
5) Yes

Let's take a step back though and get a bit more detail.

So you've got a Strat.
What has it go currently (type of pickups? Does it have TBX or are you adding that?)
What are you trying to tweak? (Are you looking to add the neck and humbucker in series or parallel? Are you looking to add the neck and a single coil from the humbucker together? Are you wanting to get the bridge humbucker to be able to split to single coil at any time or just in a certain config?)

I ask because it looks like you've got a lot you're trying to do and it could get pretty messy.

Hey man thanks for the reply. Yup I'm keen to get a .001 UF cap. I got the TBX from tone lounge and the 5 way switch. will check Jaycar first if they have the .001uf (probably not).

I'm choosing between an old schaller pick up from an old heritage 535 (4 conductor)or a JB humbucker that I currently have (not the JB JR although I still ahve it though) .
Series or parallel .. Good question. im still trying to figure it out. I'm okay as long as the neck and the bridge work together. Any will work. There is no tweaking or modifying. I'm starting a pickguard from scratch.

In the diagram, is it wired as a parallel or series?

and yes I am wanting to get a bridge humbucker to be able to split to single coil at anytime but then get it (split or not) to work with the neck with a mini toggle. + TBX tone. I'm running 500k pots since i'm rinning cutom singles. Thought I could always tone it down a little.

Now for the further detail haha I don't have a strat yet. atm its just a bare body + another one. ONe korina and one sapele with binding but one wont have a pickguard but flared maple. strat ish shape.

ALSO when I said Mirrored. Look at the numbering on my 5 way. numbcer 1 is on the other side compared to the wiring diagram.

Thanks. I hope it helps haha

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Marshmallow wrote:

Hey man thanks for the reply. Yup I'm keen to get a .001 UF cap. I got the TBX from tone lounge and the 5 way switch. will check Jaycar first if they have the .001uf (probably not).

I'm choosing between an old schaller pick up from an old heritage 535 (4 conductor)or a JB humbucker that I currently have (not the JB JR although I still ahve it though) .
Series or parallel .. Good question. im still trying to figure it out. I'm okay as long as the neck and the bridge work together. Any will work. There is no tweaking or modifying. I'm starting a pickguard from scratch.

In the diagram, is it wired as a parallel or series?

and yes I am wanting to get a bridge humbucker to be able to split to single coil at anytime but then get it (split or not) to work with the neck with a mini toggle. + TBX tone. I'm running 500k pots since i'm rinning cutom singles. Thought I could always tone it down a little.

Now for the further detail haha I don't have a strat yet. atm its just a bare body + another one. ONe korina and one sapele with binding but one wont have a pickguard but flared maple. strat ish shape.

ALSO when I said Mirrored. Look at the numbering on my 5 way. numbcer 1 is on the other side compared to the wiring diagram.

Thanks. I hope it helps haha
Right. Looking quickly, I think it'll put them in parallel. I'll try to have a closer look later unless someone else can confirm.
As long as it's a four conductor humbucker, you'll be fine splitting to single coil.

Interesting Q - did you want your TBX to apply to the bridge only, bridge and neck, or on everything all the time and free up a space to put the toggle?
I'd be tempted to go master vol, master TBX tone personally.

Numbering the switch pins is a good idea, although I'd go 1-4 on the left side, 5-8 on the right. Essentially you're pretending you pulled all tags on the left side up one position. Here's what I mean (the equals sign is just a spacer, the hyphen is nothing.

Your switch
1 = -
2 = 5
3 = 6
4 = 7
- = 8

Diagram
- = 5
1 = 6
2 = 7
3 = 8
4 = -

Hopefully that makes sense/comes across.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Right. Looking quickly, I think it'll put them in parallel. I'll try to have a closer look later unless someone else can confirm.
As long as it's a four conductor humbucker, you'll be fine splitting to single coil.

Interesting Q - did you want your TBX to apply to the bridge only, bridge and neck, or on everything all the time and free up a space to put the toggle?
I'd be tempted to go master vol, master TBX tone personally.

Numbering the switch pins is a good idea, although I'd go 1-4 on the left side, 5-8 on the right. Essentially you're pretending you pulled all tags on the left side up one position. Here's what I mean (the equals sign is just a spacer, the hyphen is nothing.

Your switch
1 = -
2 = 5
3 = 6
4 = 7
- = 8

Diagram
- = 5
1 = 6
2 = 7
3 = 8
4 = -

Hopefully that makes sense/comes across.
Hey man, It makes so much sense now haha. I have been reading it all wrong. It's a good thing I haven't wired anything and I've just been thinking about your question regarding the TBX for humbucker or humbucker + neck or Master.....

Because I want to run the humbucker and the bridge together, I would prefer to use the TBX on the bridge with coil options. (some people prefer to just do the neck to brighten the neck). Making the bridge bright and mixing it with the rounded neck pick up would make more sense for my style. Although my only problem is the TBX runs on 250k/1000k (can i still get 500k if i run it on 6?) I hope that wiring diagram I found is for humbucker only. And the 500k tone could just run for the single coil on the neck (that solves my problem LOL), I could always turn down the tone for the neck (tried them with 500k pots before, its nice and clear). I was thinking of doing a no load for the middle but having tone control always helps. I dont remember using the tone for the middle though! It seemed so useless. Could always wire it back up to the tone if need be..

Edit: Quick summary:

HSS

Volume = 500k push pull for bridge coil split (humbucker)

Bridge = TBX 250k/1000k + coil split from Volume (push pull)
Middle - NO load
Neck - Separate tone (500k pot)

Mini Toggle - Neck + bridge together for that fatter sound.

I think that is all. And it'll be the only options I'll need.

Question again: since i've decided that I'm only wanting to use the TBX for the humbucker, how well will the TBX work with a 500k volume pot? Do I just simply cut the resistor? or replace the resistor with a higher value?

Thanks.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Oh I almost forgot - my mini toggle is DPDT ON/ON (i suppose its on off)