Retro Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Retro Pickups

Post by Polar Bear »

I've got them in my Gretsch, and they are excellent! They're Hot Liverpools, and sound superb.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

bender wrote:
jeremyb wrote:The GFS stuff is brilliant for the money, even great at twice the price, no cork sniffery but just a great quality product!
That's nice. I've had extremely mixed experiences with them myself.
The ones I bought I did plenty of research on and was not disappointed, but I know there are some models which aren't so great, but it's all subjective at the end of the day!! :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

I would like to try some of their Surf 90 pickups. I'm yet to acquire a guitar for such a purpose though.

The Bald Man
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by The Bald Man »

I'll report back sometime. Was tempted to buy 3 or 4 sets just to try and then sell any that didn't glow my tubes...
The clearance section of that site has got my buying fingers twitching, I can tell ya!

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I have just put a pair of GFS surf 90's into my 73 Guild Starfire while I am waiting on a set of original Guild HB1 pickups to come from the states. The surf 90's are a great rockabilly type sound, but not sure if they are where I want to go with Guild. Looking at ordering a set of the GFS classic 59 just to try a set tbh as the kwikplug system makes it really easy to change pickups. I can ultimately see the surf 90's ending up in my Gretsch streamliner.

I found the guys at GFS great to deal with, though you need to be quick on the buy now button sometimes as their stock moves out real fast. The kwikplug system is excellent as well. The surf 90s ended up costing me about $140 NZD landed. (so very reasonably priced I thought).

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

bender wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:54 pm
jeremyb wrote:The GFS stuff is brilliant for the money, even great at twice the price, no cork sniffery but just a great quality product!
Ditto for me, I think their filterton-type pickups leave a lot to be desired.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

I've read a lot of folks over on GretschTalk saying the GFS Surf90s are the best budget pup - sounding similar to dynasonics

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I dont have the 6119 that had the TV Jones classics in it anymore, but going from memory and first impressions: the Surf 90s have a lot more snarl and bite to them, a really nice rockabilly sounding pickup imo. I would totally recommend them. Also very reasonably priced compared to SD or suchlike.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:13 pm
bender wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:54 pm
Ditto for me, I think their filterton-type pickups leave a lot to be desired.
There's definitely some gems in the range, just need to do your research, the mean90s, Liverpools, and the VEHs I've owned were brilliant!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.