Sunrise Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Sunrise Pickups

Post by MattH »

Been offered one as a trade for a couple of Burstbuckers. I'm keen - I've heard other people playing them and they sound pretty amazing for soundhole pickups.

Anyone had any experience with them?
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Sunrise Pickups

Post by robnobcorncob »

I have one, they are passive and you will need a good external preamp to get the most out of it. If you are accustomed to the sound of a Piezo or a Piezo w/Mic blend then the Sunrise will be a very different sound and may take some getting used to.

Sunrise make an expensive buffer in pedal format that bumps the low signal level up but any good preamp with a +20db pad will suffice, I've used mine with a bunch of pres with no issue, the Sunrise is overpriced for what it is (in my opinion).

They are GREAT for Weissenborn but the Seymour Duncan magmic takes the Sunrise idea one step further by being a humbucker (Sunrise is a single coil) with a built in mic blend and on board preamps for each.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

Great advice.

I tend to use a nice Headway preamp for live, so hopefully that would do the job.

I think I'm gonna go for it. They're too pricey new to just try out, and I'd imagine I could flick it on for as much as the Burstbuckers are currently priced at. I've not had any bites on those either.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Good thinking. What type of acoustic are you putting it in?

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

Good question. I like the fact that I can try it in a few. I have a Yamaha LS26 which currently has a D-Tar Wavelength in it. The beauty is that I can leave that in and AB them. The D-Tar is gonna be hard to beat, to be honest, but always fun to try stuff out.

I'm quite interested in trying it in an old Gibson LG1 I have. It's the boxiest sounding guitar (ladder-braced), but actually plays really nicely, so it might be an interesting mix! Who knows?

Tone chasing!

:o)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

The Wavelength is what I ended up with in my acoustic after trying the Sunrise.... so there you go. Could be good in the LG1!

The LS26 is a killer instrument too!

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

robnobcorncob wrote:The LS26 is a killer instrument too!
It's astounding. I took a real chance on it, but it's up there with anything from the major brands.

Plays like a custom build.

Have found it a little tough to capture the tone when recording though. Have tried different single mics, XY, mid-side, varying the distance etc. Always seems to need a little EQ cut in the upper mids, and even then it still lacks something of the vibe.

Interestingly, I've heard that J45s have an essence that's hard to capture too.

It might just be the joy of actually playing the thing that's missing!

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

Quick update. The Sunrise in the LG1 is surprising! Sounds nothing like the guitar, which is to be expected. Not sure I'd replace the wavelength in the LS26, but it's a fantastic pickup. I was gobsmacked how little like a soundhole pickup it sounded.