Reverse the pickup wires or flip the magnet?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Reverse the pickup wires or flip the magnet?

Post by Bg »

yep theres definitely a slight difference, I tested it. If I can hear it then its there ;)

Nothing worth worrying about though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

Molly wrote:
mrmofo wrote:i read that flipping the mag is different to flipping the wires. cant remember the technical reason.
wait on...
I asked Bare Knuckle the same question. Got this:

the sound of reversing the magnet and reversing the wiring a broadly the same. The only difference tends to come if somebody reverses the wiring and also turns the pickup around in the guitar, so that the correct inner/outer coil is selected in coil-split positions on certain guitars. Depending on the model of pickup that position change can make a bit of a difference to the tone, but it's not dramatic. If you have managed to get things in-phase by reversing the wires then all of your switching options should continue to work just fine.
ahh thanks for that, I`ll ask the guy who explained it to me when I see him and get back to you.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Spoke to the guy I bought the set from. He didn't flip a magnet. So, weird that stock wiring would give that mid position tone.

EDIT: Sorted. I think. Always a PITA when you have to extend pickup wires. In the end I kept the bare ground wire separate so I could more easily reverse the red / black if necessary. Seems to sound as it should. Didn't trust my ears so fetched another HH to check and, yes, think I've got it right this time.

Another set of BKs on the way from the UK for the McCarty (P90s) so more zen-mind-state-soldering-action ahead. :thumbup: