Confused about pickup output

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Confused about pickup output

Post by Molly »

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Molly wrote:How can a DiMarzio Cruiser be listed as a high output pickup but measure just 3.13k (output given as 140mV - which doesn't mean anything to me)?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... eck-pickup

My bridge pickup is a DiMarzio Tone Zone which has a DC resistance of 12.39k (300mV).

The above are mini 'blade' style humbuckers. I'm used to regular single-coils so to me, say, 5.5k would be a vintage output pickup. Never had anything as low as 3.something.

What am I missing? Ta.
Simplistically, output voltage is a function of number of windings, strength of magnetic field, the material that interferes with the field (ie, the string),
and the closeness of that material.
More windings means higher output voltage but also higher DC value. Stronger magnet creates stronger field which also bumps the output voltage. Get the string close to the pickup and that also bumps up the voltage. If they have wired the two coils in parallel the DC resistance will drop to about half of what the value would have been for series. You get a slightly cleaner sound IMO that way. 140mV is respectable for a pickup.

I use neodymium magnets for my pickups and get away with fewer windings while still getting a decent output signal.

There are some good primers one can read understanding pickups better. Best to be read while in bed with your mrs serving you steak or so...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Molly wrote:How can a DiMarzio Cruiser be listed as a high output pickup but measure just 3.13k (output given as 140mV - which doesn't mean anything to me)?

My bridge pickup is a DiMarzio Tone Zone which has a DC resistance of 12.39k (300mV).

The above are mini 'blade' style humbuckers. I'm used to regular single-coils so to me, say, 5.5k would be a vintage output pickup. Never had anything as low as 3.something.

What am I missing? Ta.
Molly, what are your thoughts on the Tone Zone mini? Had one in my Tele and couldn't get it out quick enough.
Different strokes I guess.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

griff7628 wrote:

What am I missing? Ta.
Molly, what are your thoughts on the Tone Zone mini? Had one in my Tele and couldn't get it out quick enough.
Different strokes I guess.
If I want this to be my Strat I might change it but since I've got that covered elsewhere I might stick with it. It does have it's own thing.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Yeah it's pretty mid heavy, which isn't a bad thing.