F-spaced/Trembuckers

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

F-spaced/Trembuckers

Post by Jenesis »

As I intend to upgrade a few of my gats over the next few months (new amp exposing crapness of stock pups :? ) I've tried to do a bit of reading up lately, but thought I'd get youse fullas to weigh in as well.

After chucking a standard JB in my Strat, I note a couple of the strings don't line up too well with the poles (high E especially). I take it a Strat should have an F-spaced pickup in the bridge position then? Fudge.

On a Floyded gat, should the neck pickup be F-spaced as well? Though I'm assuming that would depend on the nut width etc.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Yep, strats need F-spaced bridge pickups. The neck, usually not, although you can get F-spaced neck pickups in some models, the normal spacing is about right for most gats.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

war-wolf
Gibson

Post by war-wolf »

curiously,i have a floyded gat that is also f-spaced at the bridge,never struck this before with other floyds.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

I thought all Floyds were F-spaced?

Gah, confusion!

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

ash wrote:Yep, strats need F-spaced bridge pickups. The neck, usually not, although you can get F-spaced neck pickups in some models, the normal spacing is about right for most gats.
Cheers for that. I don't think I'll bother pulling the JB out, there's no problems with the sound and it's just a beater guitar anyway.

To my uneducated eye it looks like my stop-tailed guitar is F-spaced too :? so I assume the way to go is to get measurements before I buy any pickups?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

F-spaced is considered to be a string spacing of 54mm or more at the bridge. Standard is usually around 52mm.

Generally, Strat style trems, some Teles, Fender hardtails and most FR trems are 54mm or up to 57mm.

Gibson style tune-o-matics, stop tails, some strat type hardtails and one of the FR trems are standard spaced.

There are so many exceptions to the rule that measuring is advisable.

Then there is the complication that some pickups, like SD Trembuckers are wide enought that they may not fit into some pickguards or pickup cavities.

Then there is the fact that standard spaced pickups work just fine even if they look a little misaligned.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Ruddy heck, what a minefield.

Thanks for the info!