Wiring enquiry

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Of course its possible - and easy to do.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Yea you cant wire the mid part of the pot all together. Because then obviously when you have one pot on 0 all the signal will take the easiest route to ground. What u should do is have all the pots before the switch so the wiper (mid section) of each pot goes to the corresponding place on the switch, then the switch output goes to the output jack. OK??

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

The earth terminals of the pots, the pot bodies, the sheilding and the jack earth should all be soldered to the same point and no others. Usually the back of the original volume pot.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Well, do what I said and it will be sweet..

pickup goes to left side on pot (normal side) ground on pots is right side.

wiper (mid section) of each pot goes to the corresponding place on the switch, then the switch output goes to the output jack. OK?? .

Just wack all the grounds on one pot if you feel the need

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Except he doesn't want to use the switch at all.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I just tried to draw it, and I don't see an easy way. without a switch, you'll get the standard lp humbucker situation where if one pot is turned down, it'll pull all the signal to dirt.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Yeah I understand what you said. That would work If I was only going to use one pickup at a time, which I'm not.
Oh I see, no switch...

Well my method will let you blend volumes between neck/mid and bridge/mid. You can use two pickups still like a standard strat yet have the advantage of controlling each pickups volume seperately.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Personally I'd probably install an individual on/off toggle switch for each pickup, alongside the three volume knobs. That way you get fast discrete switching as well as the continuously variable control of the pots.

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Tsuken wrote:Personally I'd probably install an individual on/off toggle switch for each pickup, alongside the three volume knobs. That way you get fast discrete switching as well as the continuously variable control of the pots.
actually that's prolly the kinda idea.. perhaps one of those pots (the type old transistor radios used to have) that wind down ot open circuit after a click at the end? could also be that those types of pots are total shyte tho.. dunno
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

That'd be cool 8) So each pickup would 'click' on and then volume up to 10 8) Nice.

Here be bloggins

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

rocklander wrote:
Tsuken wrote:Personally I'd probably install an individual on/off toggle switch for each pickup, alongside the three volume knobs. That way you get fast discrete switching as well as the continuously variable control of the pots.
actually that's prolly the kinda idea.. perhaps one of those pots (the type old transistor radios used to have) that wind down ot open circuit after a click at the end? could also be that those types of pots are total shyte tho.. dunno
MacGuyver in the house! :D

Hey, I wonder if you could install a motorbike kickstarter on an amp...