Single Coil Pickups for a Strat

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Single Coil Pickups for a Strat

Post by Cabb »

Hey can anyone suggest some pickups to consider for a full set strat replacement? My current ones are icepicks so I'm thinking anything could be better. The current ones are american standard (fucking shit is what I would have called them, but I'm not from the states)

I have heard lace sensors and they were perfectly adequate, they are essentially my default choice, but I want to know more about P90 singles, and more sort of vintagy sounds, and also the stevi ray style pups. Very demanding, I know.

I'm not as good as Stevie, so should I get a pup like his?

Will any of the above choices be LESS versatile than my icepicks?

p.s less noise would be nice too, my current ones are so noisy!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

lace sensors will be way less noisy, I got some budget KA stacked humbuckers a few years ago and they suit me down to the ground - even with the 20Db boost I've built into my strat they are quiet and still retain a strat sound.

If its vintage styles you're after I also have Custom Shop 54's in my relic strat - very very authentic original strat tone and each one is hand rolled on a mexican's thigh - can be very noisy though, espec. as the middle is not reverse wound so no escape!

How about having a word with Mr. Glyn - he winds his own and can probably provide you with exactly what you're looking for?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

i had Bartolini VS Strat set in my old 76 they are great!
sound vintage but look 80`s with the black plastch housing etc
bloody good pups
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

bluesgeek wrote:
How about having a word with Mr. Glyn - he winds his own and can probably provide you with exactly what you're looking for?
The problem is I don't really know what I want, what I do know is I like the single coil snarliness under distortion and the cuttiness... if that makes sense. Other than that, I don't really know what the difference is. I'd ask how the humbuckers sound but then that just doubles the number of choices!

Think I might take my time deciding this one. Are there any brands to stay away from?

How would I get in contact with him BG? Does he do guitar setups?
Last edited by Cabb on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I stuck a pair of SD texas specials ( I bought off Ash) in my ibanez roadstar, and (to me) it sounds as stratty as any strat I have heard
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I love the sound of my stock american strat! no ice picks for me!! I wonder if there is a big difference from pup to pup in the american stuff

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

Yeah well I dono when mine was made, around 98 / 99. I imagine there is quite a large variance in their pickups both in quality and in parts.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

Here's what BG has

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

good for the money

Here's what i use

I like these better than any others i've tried. Darcy has a set of these in his Realtone Strat, so he may be able to give you a 'neutral' opinion :lol:

P90 in a single coil

Ask BG about his Rio P90's :)

I'll be getting Lace in the new year if you want noiseless, but I'd personally still have a set of 'good' unadulterated single coils. You are always going to get some noise, but that's part of their sound. :)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

rocklander wrote:I stuck a pair of SD texas specials ( I bought off Ash) in my ibanez roadstar, and (to me) it sounds as stratty as any strat I have heard
roadsters are bloody good at sounding stratish
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

well this one took on a whole new lease of strat persona life with the texas specials.. very SRV. I stuck a lil59 in the bridge, but I dunno.. a single coil packaged HB is exactly what Ash said it'd be.. not quite a single coil, and not quite a HB.. more an almost good enough bit of both, but can be disappointing ...
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Its a real minefield suggesting anything in the musical gear line. All most of us can suggest is what we find works for us. ymmv.

Here's my choice:
Bill Lawrence L280s in neck and mid, with an L250XL at the bridge. All Noiseless. For my tastes, they're just the ticket and since I also use D'Add Chromes (flats), I can get a lovely (to me) creamy tone from the guitar, as well as that Strat Bite, esp on the L250.

See photos in my profile for a closer look.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

I'm pretty tempted to just go for it down the p90 path, My impression is that I can't go wrong here. Those P90's aren't gonna be... all up in my face in the wrong way though are they? For example hitting the strings muted (chucka chucka) is quite harsh with my current pups, all of these options wouldn't be harsh doing that I'm thinking?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Cabb wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
The problem is I don't really know what I want, what I do know is I like the single coil snarliness under distortion and the cuttiness... if that makes sense. Other than that, I don't really know what the difference is. I'd ask how the humbuckers sound but then that just doubles the number of choices!

Think I might take my time deciding this one. Are there any brands to stay away from?

How would I get in contact with him BG? Does he do guitar setups?
yes and he has an 'effin big banner shown at the top of the page :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

just be aware if you go the P90 path you're still going to have noise! If you can live with the noise, my P90 beast is a killer - its a combination of the mahogony body and P90's though....

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Dimarzio virtual vintage, strat tone, more power, no noise.
Talk to Ash
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.