Single Coil Pickups for a Strat

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Vorbis »

Just to hijack with the p90 thing, I've got a mahogony PRS with shit p90's in..looking for replacements...any suggestions??
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

Haha, thanks so much guys, I have too many options.

BG, Ironically I saw his banner juuuust underneath the submit button :)

Not THAT worried about noise, that's what drummers are for.

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

Vorbis wrote:Just to hijack with the p90 thing, I've got a mahogony PRS with shit p90's in..looking for replacements...any suggestions??
Ummm have a look on the first page, it's there somewhere.

Someone was saying they new the best p90 sized p90's bar original 57's or something. I'll link if I find it.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I was thinking more along the lines of a humbucking p90.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

not a p90 .. but is humbucking, and will fit in the P90 Slot 8)

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

I do have these, but i prefer the normal Alnico P90 versions over these.

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

do what i did

keep the p90 in the neck and chuck a real mans pup in the bridge like an X2N

p90 are too big for a strat, strats need to be routed SSS
if you re-rout the strat you loose the sound IMO
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

If you're getting a bit too much treble response, perhaps look at an alnico 2 pickup like the Duncan Alnico 2 Pro or Antiquity Texas Hot. Those would be my choices for warming up the sound of a bright strat without overwinding the pickups and getting that compressed squash you get with hotter pickups.

Dimarzio have other approaches to getting a warm sounding vintage-stlye strat sound. Ash is pretty up with the range.

I find the fender texas specials to be a bit compressed sounding.

The duncan Quarter Pounder captures a lot of the p90 vibe for a single coil. I've also heard Rio Grande 'p90 in a single coil' pickups in a tele and they sounded great.

bear in mind that any overwound pickup will make you guitar sound compressed when played clean. So much depends on how often you use a clean sound.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Vorbis wrote:Just to hijack with the p90 thing, I've got a mahogony PRS with shit p90's in..looking for replacements...any suggestions??
Duncan Custom P90 :-)
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Strat things: I have a used SD Quarter Pound on hand you can try out for P90 action in a single coil slot. It depends on how much noise is an issue vs plain old balls. DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Solo Pro does the same thing but quietly.

Dimarzio also like to put devil-buckers into P90 packages for people like Vorbis. They're good like that... DXL Plus, Tone Zone P90, Super Distortion P90 etc.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3524 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

Hot_Grits wrote: Dimarzio have other approaches to getting a warm sounding vintage-stlye strat sound. Ash is pretty up with the range.

I find the fender texas specials to be a bit compressed sounding.
+1
I have just swapped my fender texas specials for Dimarzio Area '61's... in neck and mid positions... (SD Pearly gates+ in bridge). The Dimarzios are really nice pups... classic glassy strat cleans and snarly response when you hit 'em hard... 8)
I don't think I would never go back to pups that weren't hum cancelling now... some venues I have played in with less-than-perfect-earthing have played havoc with the hum on my old Texas specials... especially cause I like to push the gain right up. Go Dimarzio.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Single Coil Pickups for a Strat

Post by Cdog »

:)
Last edited by Cdog on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Cdog wrote:
Cabb wrote: I have heard lace sensors and they were perfectly adequate, they are essentially my default choice, but I want to know more about P90 singles, and more sort of vintagy sounds, and also the stevi ray style pups. Very demanding, I know.
I have a problem with 'p90 sounding' pups in a strat. Strats were made to sound like strats... don't create a monster! It'll never sound like a great Les Paul, and never sound like a great strat... just a compromise between the two.
Get some mint strat pups and then go out and buy a Gibson and you can have your p90s too! :)
Putting a PAF in a strat didn't seem to do Eddie Van Halen's tone any harm...

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Some Bozo wrote:
Cdog wrote:
Cabb wrote: I have heard lace sensors and they were perfectly adequate, they are essentially my default choice, but I want to know more about P90 singles, and more sort of vintagy sounds, and also the stevi ray style pups. Very demanding, I know.
I have a problem with 'p90 sounding' pups in a strat. Strats were made to sound like strats... don't create a monster! It'll never sound like a great Les Paul, and never sound like a great strat... just a compromise between the two.
Get some mint strat pups and then go out and buy a Gibson and you can have your p90s too! :)
Putting a PAF in a strat didn't seem to do Eddie Van Halen's tone any harm...
1. We are talking Stevie Ray Sounds here aren't we?
2. Eddie's guitar is hardly a strat.
3. btw I have a PAF in my bridge too :lol:

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

4. I just wanted to count
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

cheeseboy777
Squier

Post by cheeseboy777 »

I love the Kinman Traditionals I've got in my strat, they're super-quiet and retain all the 'stratiness' while still adding a groovy dimension to the sound. Texas Specials are great too, I had a high-end Jap strat recently with those and it was a fantastic guitar.
Time to restring? Check our site for the cheapest deals in NZ!

http://www.guitarstuff.co.nz