EMG question

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: EMG question

Post by robnobcorncob »

Now THAT is a Xiphos :o it's a custom job Ibby obviously, I'd take it over the production 7 string Xiphos anyday of the week.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

ahhh Necrophagist. REALLY good band! lots of crazy harmonised sweeping action going on!

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Azza
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Azza »

I found the tech at the EMG email centre very helpful. When I described the custom wiring I wanted to do, he sent me wiring diagrams, all custom drawn up to meet my needs. PM me if you want me to give you his email addy.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Azza wrote:I found the tech at the EMG email centre very helpful. When I described the custom wiring I wanted to do, he sent me wiring diagrams, all custom drawn up to meet my needs. PM me if you want me to give you his email addy.
I don't really have any custom wiring in mind but I need someone to tell me how to do the 18V mod in basic english. I have done the series wiring off the extra battery and it worked/then it didn't/then it over heated the battery and now it doesn't work at all :roll: can someone help me out? (now I remember why I hated electronics at school all those years ago)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Its a pretty simple mod. Pictures below say it all. If it worked to start with you probably wired it right, but perhaps badly...
In otherwords, wires in the right place, but loose connections, dodgy clips, stray wires or half dead batteries. If one battery is near dead and the other one new, it could go all wrong for you. Make sure you try two new batteries. check your connections, keep it tidy and properly insulated.

http://home.comcast.net/~mgollihur/emgmod.html

What you start with:

What you end up with:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Awesome thats what I was after, my google skills must suck cause no diagrams came up when I was searching...cheers adrian

I hadn't disconnected the old black wire so both the old and new wires were running to the jack, hence the heating of the batteries :oops:

The mod sounds wicked, its kinda taken away the "fizziness" of the pickups (I know what I mean anyway :wink: ) and made them a lot fuller......me like.....

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

willow13 wrote:Awesome thats what I was after, my google skills must suck cause no diagrams came up when I was searching...cheers adrian

I hadn't disconnected the old black wire so both the old and new wires were running to the jack, hence the heating of the batteries :oops:

The mod sounds wicked, its kinda taken away the "fizziness" of the pickups (I know what I mean anyway :wink: ) and made them a lot fuller......me like.....
Good to see it's worked out for you! enjoying the extra headroom?-

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

robnobcorncob wrote:
willow13 wrote:Awesome thats what I was after, my google skills must suck cause no diagrams came up when I was searching...cheers adrian

Good to see it's worked out for you! enjoying the extra headroom?-
Sure am.....so much more PUNCH....mmmmmmmmmmpunch

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Hijacking again...

Found this clip on youtube that covers the earlier hijacking material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPD58qSs ... re=related
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Bit of a dredge, but I just thought I'd post this in here...

Boy do EMGs sound shit when the batteries are flat!

i have the 18V done on my EMG81/85 set but I've been really going off them recently, sound crap through the HD500 and I've kind of been switching more and more to the guitars with passive pickups. Anyway in prep for tomorrow's Gearfest I decided to pop in some nice new batteries and see what happened.

Sure enough one battery was flat and the tongue test says the other had sod all charge left in it.

put in some new super high power batteries and it sounds infinitely better :)

So lesson learned, and maybe I'll put some investigation into that project that was mentioned years ago to work out how to tell if they have enough charge with some sort of indicator.