Bits and Bobs in Christchurch (to fit new EMGs)

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Bits and Bobs in Christchurch (to fit new EMGs)

Post by sty »

OK people, I've not done any real electrickery since I've been living over here that required new bits and pieces. I had to resolder the output jack on my guitar when it arrived but that was trivial.

I've hopefully got a set of EMGs winging there way to me and I kind of figure I'm going to need new cabling etc. when I install them in this Epi LP.

So the question is, where am I going to get decent proper hook up cable from, I'm guessing Dick Smith are only going to sell unsuitable bell wire etc. and I don't really want this to buzz when I have finished. Also what cable do people use?

One last question, how do you fit the batteries? do you just let them rattle around inside? I doubt it and I won't be, do you fit a holder? do you just stick a duster or sponge in to hold them? glue them/tape them in somehow somewhere.

BTW: I'm going to be doing the 18V mod as it seems the sensible thing to do so there may be even less room inside for batteries.

The picture of what's in the package looks like they supply a new jack socket so all could be well on that score.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Bits and Bobs in Christchurch (to fit new EMGs)

Post by robnobcorncob »

Your right about the jack. They supply a switchcraft stereo one [you need a stereo one otherwise the battery has nowhere to connect to] the 18volt mod is a great idea which unfortunately not everyone is aware of. Fitting two 9v batteries in an LP might be hard but shouldn't be impossible..

My guitar has a battery-specific compartment that flips in and out quite easily. One battery goes in there and another goes into the electronics cavity amongst the other wiring. Wrapped in foam first for a snug fit.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I've found grabbing a couple of metres of that ribbon cable, where they're all stuck together like a liquorice strap and all different colours worked fine for me. The individual wires just peel off and they store nicely also. Dick Smiths or an old computer is fine for that.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog

Post by Rog »

You could always retrofit a battery compartment in the back??

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... ategory=14

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Rog wrote:I've found grabbing a couple of metres of that ribbon cable, where they're all stuck together like a liquorice strap and all different colours worked fine for me. The individual wires just peel off and they store nicely also. Dick Smiths is fine for that.
I'd worry that Ribbon cable was a bit shit, it's designed for digital signals really with every other strand earthed, but if it sounds OK then maybe the cable is irrelevant. I was assuming I'd need some posh braided audio cable or something due to low signal levels.

I did an electronics degree about 20years ago so I'm probably worrying needlessly.

Rog

Post by Rog »

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

you can't give away 15" 17" even 19" CRT screens these days. when we're throwing out ones at work, I snake them, pull the motherboards and all the wiring out of them. there's a HEAP of nice braided shielding on the main VDU cable, and plenty of shielded wire in there too.. I don't buy wire anymore.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Rog wrote:You could always retrofit a battery compartment in the back??

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... ategory=14
I saw those on guitarparts when I was looking yesterday and started thinking about mounting a single one in a new cover, but there is no way I'd fit the double one in.

And I don't fancy trying to carve out wood and fit one in, god willing one day I'll want to sell this guitar and upgrade ;)

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Rog wrote:Could get your wire there, too!!
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Resul ... tegory=127
seems excessive to mail order cable, but it's a good idea

Rog

Post by Rog »

You're not alone there, I think several of us here have electrical/electronics degrees.. you're among friends!! :lol:

Don't be a girl - get that hammer and chisel out!! :P

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

rocklander wrote:you can't give away 15" 17" even 19" CRT screens these days. when we're throwing out ones at work, I snake them, pull the motherboards and all the wiring out of them. there's a HEAP of nice braided shielding on the main VDU cable, and plenty of shielded wire in there too.. I don't buy wire anymore.
good idea, I'll see if they've any old ones at work or I may have a very old 14" one in the garage I should be throwing out as it wasn't supposed to move from the UK

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

a 3mm hole in the plastic cover and this to hold the batteries to the back of the LP :P
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

rocklander wrote:you can't give away 15" 17" even 19" CRT screens these days. when we're throwing out ones at work, I snake them, pull the motherboards and all the wiring out of them. there's a HEAP of nice braided shielding on the main VDU cable, and plenty of shielded wire in there too.. I don't buy wire anymore.
sty wrote: good idea, I'll see if they've any old ones at work or I may have a very old 14" one in the garage I should be throwing out as it wasn't supposed to move from the UK
at work we call it "sustainable disposal" reusing any parts marks it as an ecologically sound thing to do :lol:
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog

Post by Rog »

:lol: Its the Kiwi way!! (duct tape)

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Rog wrote:You're not alone there, I think several of us here have electrical/electronics degrees.. you're among friends!! :lol:
and some of us have zero clues, even less quals ...and a soldering iron heh heh
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass