Vintage PAFy type pups - options and discussion

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3501 times
Been liked: 715 times

Re: Vintage PAFy type pups - options and discussion

Post by Cdog »

mahtone wrote:
I confess I'm a little afraid of unpotted pups as well.
Ugh be very afraid... I have a long term borrow on an Epi LP, sounds good at low volume but the pigs squeal and shriek at me at stage level, its really disappointing. :x

Found some instructions for DIY potting at guitarnuts, I'm aiming to give them a nice hot wax bath soon...

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Mr Glyn »

Just a word of caution - some of the older Epis had pickup bobbins made of plastic that melts at about the same temp as wax and if you're not very very careful they can disolve. They are made of clear plastic so are easy to spot - all the other coloured bobbins are fine.

You can imagine how I found that one out

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

Dont worry about the unpotted ness its quite easy to do.

Most of the time just fixing the magnet and/or pickup cover, in place with wax/glue will solve squeal issues without potting the coil.

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

Yeah, I don't think I'll be home potting anything...good tip there though Mr Glyn! I'll have to remember that one!

Have been listening to a whole heap of tone clips in the last few days...

Not sure on the Dimarzios...most specs look like they're a bit hot for my liking, and most don't have decent soundclips. Still considering the PAF Joe, but looks like it might have more treble than I'd prefer. I love Joe's tone, but it's not exactly what I'm after. Hard to tell though as he doesn't play clean much...

With the Seymour Duncans, I like the Alnico II Pros, the Jazz and the Pearly Gates. Current preference would be the Alnico II Pro in the neck and Jazz in the bridge. Could do the Pearly Gates in the neck with the Jazz. Am also thinking the Alnico in the bridge and the Pearly Gates in the neck. Have pretty much excluded the 59 classic and the Seth Lover. Nice sounding, to be sure, but not what I'm looking for.

Have heard good things about the Rio Grandes, but haven't been able to find a soundclip I liked of the ones I'm considering, so I'm really not sure about them. What I've read is good, and the players using them ought to know what they're doing...still I think they might be built for players that like hotter pickups than I think I would. Anyone know where I might get toneclips of them or be able to try some?

Any other thoughts from anyone?
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

mahtone wrote:Have heard good things about the Rio Grandes, but haven't been able to find a soundclip I liked of the ones I'm considering, so I'm really not sure about them. What I've read is good, and the players using them ought to know what they're doing...still I think they might be built for players that like hotter pickups than I think I would. Anyone know where I might get toneclips of them or be able to try some?
The Texas/Buffalo pairing aren't particularly hot, not compared to the BBQ/Texas combination. Apart from myself, the only other place you might find them is Global Vintage in Sydney, but i doubt they will have any in guitars, if they have any in stock at all.....

I like the Texas/Buffalo pair because they sound great across the board, whether it be clean, slightly dirty, or pushed really hard. They don't muddy up with vol rolloff (nothing to do with caps or treble bleeds), and they don't get washed out with extra gain.

i can try and record a couple of clips for you just through the POD XT.. they will be fairly basic, but would give you a quick idea of what i'm talking about :)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

That would actually be really cool if you could. I'll look up the Global Vintage lot here...
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3501 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Mr Glyn wrote:Just a word of caution - some of the older Epis had pickup bobbins made of plastic that melts at about the same temp as wax and if you're not very very careful they can disolve. They are made of clear plastic so are easy to spot - all the other coloured bobbins are fine.

You can imagine how I found that one out
Crikey... I'm glad you told me thanks for the tip

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

I have potted 4 epi pickups one pair from 1996 one from 2000, and no issues, they dont have the clear bobbins though.

Never seen any epi pickups with clear bobbins what year were they?

Mr Glyn
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Mr Glyn »

Not sure of the year but I'd take a stab at early 90's.
The guitars weren't a patch on the modern Epis.
You don't see those pickups much any more - must have all died - but I used to come accross them a lot in the late 90's and they weren't new then.
I haven't seen any like that for a while but thought it was worth mentioning.