sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by sizzlingbadger »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 pm Abbey road but Dutchmen anyone ?

Soooooo good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCG6faO ... RalphSmits
Seriously skilful musicians, I went to have a quick watch and ended up listening to the whole thing, couldn't stop :thumbup:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

When you're Jason Becker, your shred collab hits a little different...

Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

https://youtu.be/XV0HlT6Q8GM?si=d9yAa7VqNGO564_w
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 am Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

Which makes sense to me as a speaker has its own EQ curve (frequency response), a preamp has EQ control of varying degrees of complexity, power sections are usually just loudeners but to a much lesser extent can add a little flavour :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

This is one of my favourite lead guitar tones of all time. It just freaking rips. Rory was badass.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:44 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 am Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

Which makes sense to me as a speaker has its own EQ curve (frequency response), a preamp has EQ control of varying degrees of complexity, power sections are usually just loudeners but to a much lesser extent can add a little flavour :thumbup:

A power amp just makes it louder and can clip and compress, but how the output transformer and speaker interacts is important for how the amp sounds and behaves. Stuff like response time and damping etc. Guitar speakers do not just instantly stop when signal stops running to them. For a split second they keep moving. A transformer and speaker combination with higher damping stops producing sound sooner. It sounds tighter and more precise. Same with response and how quickly they respond to signal. Some designs respond faster. Not that we necessarily want either. Depends on the tone and feel you are after. Perfect hi-fi specs tend to suck for guitar.
Sag is another thing in the power amp. Can the power supply keep up with demand. If it can't your tone's price increases :P
Don't forget negative feedback. It can be used to cancel out stuff you do not want in the tone of the amp, or let stuff through, e.g., presence and depth etc.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:44 am

A power amp just makes it louder and can clip and compress, but how the output transformer and speaker interacts is important for how the amp sounds and behaves. Stuff like response time and damping etc. Guitar speakers do not just instantly stop when signal stops running to them. For a split second they keep moving. A transformer and speaker combination with higher damping stops producing sound sooner. It sounds tighter and more precise. Same with response and how quickly they respond to signal. Some designs respond faster. Not that we necessarily want either. Depends on the tone and feel you are after. Perfect hi-fi specs tend to suck for guitar.
Sag is another thing in the power amp. Can the power supply keep up with demand. If it can't your tone's price increases :P
Don't forget negative feedback. It can be used to cancel out stuff you do not want in the tone of the amp, or let stuff through, e.g., presence and depth etc.
Yep, agree that it makes a difference (as demonstrated in this video), just in most use cases less of a difference than preamp or speakers.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2489 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Black Crowes on Howard Stern playing Zep. Great cover.

https://youtu.be/5kNAVOVeQ_0?si=C7-Nq4SRaglKNCwV

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Some cool footage here including Nile Rodgers playing Get Lucky on a plexiglas strat...

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

I'm encountering Scandinavian covers bands. Oh my goodness!

Then there's this which has what's probably my favourite outro solo of all time.

Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Litterick wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:12 pm
On my listening list today thank you! Only heard about them yesterday on the latest episode of Steven Wilson’s album years podcast!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.