boss chorus CE-3 power adater

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

boss chorus CE-3 power adater

Post by rocklander »

I've got a BOSS CE-3 and want to wire up a power adapter for it and my RAT(parallel the 9V) - am assuming (yes, that's ass-u-me, but who knows?) that 9V is the apt dc input for the boss (the RAT has it printed on it).
1.is it in fact 9V for the boss?
2.is it centre pin +ve?
3. what sort of voltage should I see at the end of my power supply unloaded? (I've had it for ages, and the label is worn off,. I thought it was 9V, but unloaded I'm seeing about 17Vdc - but that may be correct of unloaded? not sure)
I've had a looksie on google about the boss DC pin config, but not sure what to ask cos I'm getting far too many results, or not enough - grrr!
any help gratefully accepted.

cheers
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Boss pedals, like most others, are centre -.

The rats have a non isolated metal socket, so it has to be centre +, as the chassis is negative.

Since nearly all pedals use the boss style plug with centre -, I put an isolated jack on my Rat to make it like every other pedal.

As far as your psu running at 17 volts. Bin it, replace it with a regulated power supply. I bet your current one is noisy as.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

hmm... thanks for that - yeah - the rat having the negative chassis is odd (although I'd build a pedal that way based on normal electronics practices - chassis is almost always dirt).

what voltage should I see at the end of the power supply unloaded then?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

oh - and if I'm powering (at this stage one, but perhaps two) rat(s) and one boss chorus - what sort of current am I likely to draw - am I going to be okay with 600mA?
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

All pedals have a - chassis, so it makes sense to have a centre + power socket, but for some reason most pedals isolate the socket and have centre -.

You should be getting 9V of a 9V power supply, and 600mA is plenty for a chorus and 2 Rats.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Not sure if I can add much to this, but I have a Boss CE-3.

It is one of the few boss pedals where it wants the "ACA" adaptor which is different to the standard PSA adaptor (9V DC regulated). However it does work ok with a PSA adaptor if in a daisy chain with another PSA style pedal.

See here for more info on this quirk:
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/art ... sadapt.htm

So when I plug my Boss CE-3 directly into my 600mA 9VDC regulated brick the light barely shows at all. But if I have it in the daisy chain with at least one other "normal" pedal then it is fine. The same issue is with my new OC-2 pedal.

So for my 600mA brick I have three normal pedals - Fender PT10, Marshall ED1, Danelectro Bacon+Eggs and then two Boss ACA pedals - CE-3 and OC-2

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

@Timi - ah then the chassis is -ve sweet. looks like that PSU is pooed then

@offender - thanks for the link - that's just crap isn't it? heh - I'd actually experienced the whole 'wont work if plugged directly into the CE3, but does when daisy chained' (my home made daisy chain that is - a splitter in the wires) before,and couldn't freaking figure it out so that explains it.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

am having trouble getting the power supply all sorted, but picked up a 9V from dick smith's for $5!!! so can get a separate one for the BOSS - so (just checking my conclusions with ya) I should get a 12V for the BOSS?
(like this: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... View/M9646)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

with PSU's you'll find you get what you pay for. For $5 I'll be very surprised if its regulated - probably going to be very noisy :) Hard to tell from the site, it doesn't mention regulated.... probably just rectified.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

this is the one I got:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... View/M9560

the other is the 12V one I'm considering for the BOSS - if not that, then what options should I consider for powering the RAT and the BOSS (and potentially another RAT?)?

and of course - if I'm getting a psu just for the BOSS - should t be 12V (as it seems to be the style that requires the ACA)? that is what the article seems to suggest..
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass