Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Amp overdrive VS. Pedal overdrive

Post by slash-ed »

More is definitely more. My amp's overdrive is certainly more (and more better, yessss) than any pedal I've ever encountered.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3531 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

It just goes to show you can't have it all at once. :(
Tube amp overdrive through a nice cab.... uhhhhh an incredible sonic experience, something to do with the rich harmonic content, something to do with the sheer volume messing with our ears/bodies, something to do with the way the amplifier reacts to our playing when connected directly to the instrument... But unless you have a whizpop-multi-thingy amp that sounds good, it's a pretty limiting setup. Out come the pedals...
My favourite pedal overdrive sounds come from a an amp channel that is only just starting to clip and compress, yet still sounds pretty clean, fender/vox stuff... then you get much closer to that delicious 'amp' sound nom nom... plus you get the convenience of having at your feet a stomp switch and knobbies to change your sound on the fly

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Conway wrote:Flying in the face of current trends as usual... pedals are bestest and funest. Stuff the "less is more" brigade - more is more! The backlash starts here!
I wouldn't argue with that.

It would be a lot cheaper to have a few decent modeling pedals, like Catalinbread or Tech21, that cover the AC30 tone, the Marshall tone, the Tweed tone and maybe the Blackface fender tone, all running into a decent clean tube amp than it would be to try and have all those amps, and then have them all cranked.

Pedals make a lot of sense.
Nothing to see here.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

It amuses me that people are cool with single pedals that do amp modelling, but not multi-effects boards that do the same thing, arguably better.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

It's a horses/courses thing - depending on how dynamic you want your sound to be. It's bloody annoying trying to get clean headroom out of a low watt amp when you need to (gigs), though rolling back guitar volume on something in the 15-30 watt range can give you everything at your fingertips. Conversely it's very cool having a 'clean platform' and any number of dirt pedals set up for instant chaos with a single click (ie: huge dynamics) - but multi-channel amps can do that too :)

I also can't stand the snobbery around "Class-A" operation being a sellable bullet point. It's a fallacy that 'A' sounds cooler or more prestigous than 'AB'. Truth being that you often get more spongey/sag with push-pull (AB).

I believe there are lots of myths and misconceptions around 'odd/even order harmonics' too - maybe someone would like to school us on that?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

babytaylor wrote:
Conway wrote:Flying in the face of current trends as usual... pedals are bestest and funest. Stuff the "less is more" brigade - more is more! The backlash starts here!
I wouldn't argue with that.

It would be a lot cheaper to have a few decent modeling pedals, like Catalinbread or Tech21, that cover the AC30 tone, the Marshall tone, the Tweed tone and maybe the Blackface fender tone, all running into a decent clean tube amp than it would be to try and have all those amps, and then have them all cranked.

Pedals make a lot of sense.
I guess I've just fallen in love with using ONE tone, and working it carefully between shades of overdrive. It might sound boring, but it's addictive to play, forces me to be a better player, and seems to be picking up complements.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

slash-ed wrote:More is definitely more. My amp's overdrive is certainly more (and more better, yessss) than any pedal I've ever encountered.
This is correct. Your amp sounded righteous at the last gearfest.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

MogwaiBoy wrote:It's a horses/courses thing - depending on how dynamic you want your sound to be. It's bloody annoying trying to get clean headroom out of a low watt amp when you need to (gigs), though rolling back guitar volume on something in the 15-30 watt range can give you everything at your fingertips. Conversely it's very cool having a 'clean platform' and any number of dirt pedals set up for instant chaos with a single click (ie: huge dynamics) - but multi-channel amps can do that too :)

I also can't stand the snobbery around "Class-A" operation being a sellable bullet point. It's a fallacy that 'A' sounds cooler or more prestigous than 'AB'. Truth being that you often get more spongey/sag with push-pull (AB).

I believe there are lots of myths and misconceptions around 'odd/even order harmonics' too - maybe someone would like to school us on that?
My experience with class A amps is that they sound quite muddy when overdriven.

AB seems to have a more smooth overdrive.
Nothing to see here.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

babytaylor wrote: My experience with class A amps is that they sound quite muddy when overdriven.
This has been my experience too, espesh the 1xEL84 five watter types : )

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

It isn't just me then... Phew.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Amp overdrive VS. Pedal overdrive

Post by Capt. Black »

You're all doing it wrong.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

inb4 "You can dirty up a clean amp but you can't clean up a dirty amp"
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

You're all doing it wrong:

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Amp overdrive VS. Pedal overdrive

Post by Capt. Black »

Single coil wrote:inb4 "You can dirty up a clean amp but you can't clean up a dirty amp"
Rest my case. ;)

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Dammit.