Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Re: Recommend me a reverb pedal!

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

I have had many a reverb pedal, but not yet found one that quite meets my expectations. I'm aiming for a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb next, so hopefully that's the ticket.

Anyway, what sort of reverb sounds do you like? Sounds to me like you're looking for a reverb that adds a bit of ambience, rather than going for the whole splashy effect. If that's the case, then the Neunaber WET Reverb is pretty much the best. It has that nice Blackface-y, angelic kind of reverb, and can do some quite mad stuff at more extreme settings. Not that great at the splashy stuff though. The 'splashes' to me sounded distorted and weird. A good balance between splashy and ambient is the ZCat spring reverb, but I found that sounded a bit harsh and digital at more extreme settings, which tend to be the settings you want in order for it to be splashy. T. Rex Tonebug Reverb is not a bad option either as you can switch between spring and 'modern' which is more of a room reverb and can sound absolutely huge. Again though, I found it sounded a bit digital. Maybe this is just an unavoidable problem with reverb pedals and I'm being much too picky and listening far too hard. Those would be my top 3 reverbs so far, though.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

OpenCoil wrote:I have had many a reverb pedal, but not yet found one that quite meets my expectations. I'm aiming for a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb next, so hopefully that's the ticket.

Anyway, what sort of reverb sounds do you like? Sounds to me like you're looking for a reverb that adds a bit of ambience, rather than going for the whole splashy effect. If that's the case, then the Neunaber WET Reverb is pretty much the best. It has that nice Blackface-y, angelic kind of reverb, and can do some quite mad stuff at more extreme settings. Not that great at the splashy stuff though. The 'splashes' to me sounded distorted and weird. A good balance between splashy and ambient is the ZCat spring reverb, but I found that sounded a bit harsh and digital at more extreme settings, which tend to be the settings you want in order for it to be splashy. T. Rex Tonebug Reverb is not a bad option either as you can switch between spring and 'modern' which is more of a room reverb and can sound absolutely huge. Again though, I found it sounded a bit digital. Maybe this is just an unavoidable problem with reverb pedals and I'm being much too picky and listening far too hard. Those would be my top 3 reverbs so far, though.
Yeah I'm definitely more after ambience than using reverb as an 'effect' per se. Come wedding season I am playing quite a few rock n roll numbers so a decent spring sound would be a definite plus.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

OpenCoil have you tried any of the Mr Black stuff? I'm dead set on getting an eterna, luscious shimmery goodness!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 775 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by Miza »

I've got a TC Hall of Fame. Good pedal, does lots of different settings, but you can always set it where you like and leave it alone.
I'd describe it as Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing. Good things with pedals like this (as opposed to one knob jobbies) is that you can tweak a certain parameter to your taste, like tone for example. Also, with the HoF the mix control is completely analog, so part of your signal stays unaffected.

I've hear really good things about the Nauneberg Wet thing that everyone goes on about. Keep an eye out for one, but sounds like you'll have a fight on your hands.

Just to throw another option on the mix (cos that's always helpful at times like this) don't forget about the EHX Holy Grail range. The original big box or the smaller nano's come up on TM from time to time. Good for basic reverb sounds.
Nothing to see here.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

jeremyb wrote:OpenCoil have you tried any of the Mr Black stuff? I'm dead set on getting an eterna, luscious shimmery goodness!
No, I haven't. I'm not really into the shimmery ambient stuff. More into spring reverbs. I like a reverb that adds a bit of prettiness and depth to the sound - the kind that has a nice decay to elimate the abrupt, dead silence of a completely dry sound. But I like a bit of splash too. The best reverb I've ever had was, of course, the built in reverb on my old Deluxe Reverb. Nice and pretty sounding, and with a good but not over the top splash when palm-muting and playing the old boom-chicka style.

About my favourite splashy reverb sound is from Luther Perkins in this clip, playing a Jaguar as he did at this time. Quite splashy, but not over the top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBLgtKVwptA

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Anyone tried verbzilla?

Bocob
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bocob »

Got meself a TC electronic Hall of Fame, $190 off Amazon. I had never tried one out before buying and I was recommended by many people to get it and I have no regrets at all :)

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bobiron »

I have a Hall of Fame, set to spring setting usually, sometimes I adjust the level and decay and as mentioned, the level mixes in the effect with the original. That one thing sold me on it and is a must have feature for me. The other settings are good fun to tweak at home and I guess you could between tunes in a band situation, but I normally don't bother. Good value pedal that does not take up tons of space. I use this with my Vox Night Train.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Eruera »

Well my Flashback X4 order just got cancelled =(

On the plus side I now have more budget for reverb!

Thinking Strymon Bluesky, any experience?

EDIT - Trigger Pulled!

Thanks for the suggestions peps :D

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3556 times
Been liked: 728 times

Post by Cdog »

Bluesky is nice, very good plate and room sounds. The shimmer effect is also an added bonus