Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Tsuken wrote:Cool post, Capn. (and thanks for the kind words - even if I'm not sure I deserve them :oops: ).
But you do because I did you the service of listening and I had one of those WTF?! moments. Where as I watch and listen to some of those youtube kids or the clips collections of shredders and they're very impressive but the only thing that holds my interest after 10-20 seconds is the hair styles, gurning, paint job on the guitar, out of place band members and so on.
Anyway, I agree in principle - in some situations. Perhaps most situations in fact. ;) The only major difference is a personal thing; that I like hearing stupidly technical guitar-playing. If someone's playing them fast/cleanly enough, with enough attitude, I can even enjoy listening to scales 8) We don't need no stinking context ;) However, that's just me :P I know exactly what you're saying about complementing the rest of the music - and also making the lead a bit of a journey itself, rather than just 1/2 million 64th note triplets :P
Yeah absolutely. People owe it to themselves to take an interest in what others are doing in their chosen field. On one level there is the picking up of knowledge. More importantly you have to be able to just sit back and enjoy it for what it is.
Most of my working life has been in the photo industry and a lot of the time I am looking at stuff and going, I can do better. There are people who rate me as a star in the stuff I do. There are guys who absolutely floor me. As I get older I have to make a greater effort to just look at a photo and enjoy it for what it is, and what it says and stop trying to analyse the lighting, what camera, what was done in the darkroom or Photoshop etc.
But if the Photoshop tricks are so obvious or contrived that they overwhelm the content of the photo or worse still, they are the content then I'm lost in the first 10 seconds.

The POV of my original post is that of a 'can't do'. The POV of a 'can do' will be and should be very different. The reasons for enjoying the music are naturally valid either way.
btw, I know there's no point to my ramblings. I'm too old (or at least feeling so at the moment) to bother making points. :P
:lol: Agreed! It's too early in the day for this shit. I can't stay on track. :lol:
One point I have to disagree with you on though is the solo for Since I've Been Loving You. ;) I think it's just 'orrible tasteless flash - and poorly played to boot. Maybe that's just the solo he plays on the live version on The Song Remains the Same (the only version I have), but still... :? I've never understood why people hold it up as an example of good playing. If the studio recording is wildly different, please enlighten me.
The record version is very different. But I could totally understand if you or others could pick holes in Page's technique or skill. Back in them days he was the best by far and took guitar playing into totally uncharted territory. Compared to many players since EHV and Vai, Page now sounds sloppy and loose but he's got a lot of soul. Which is an ironic thing to say because in the day he was accused of having no soul (Black Magic obsessions aside) compared to guys like Clapton and Hendrix.

:?

No, the whole point is the song itself, the chords, the tempo the key changes and the notes page finds, Plant's vocals, all create a vehicle for the solo and one without the other is a very unsatisfying thing. Like an empty party bus. Together they're exquisite. Sublime. Technical stuff aside for a moment and learn something from the songcraft. 8)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I think Robert Plant is/was one of the coolest rock singers ever.

Totally unrelated, I know.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Capt. Black wrote:Wax on, wax off... wax on, wax off... wax on, wax off...

... six days later...

wax on, wax off... wax on, wax off... wax on, wax off...
I was thinking about that movie this week, I want to add it to my growing collection of 80's dvds :D

As for what others have said, I can't shred at all, but slowly trying to learn a couple of things which are slowly coming along. I use the 'nome but I must admit I try to speed up too soon, it sounds pants, I lose interest & go onto something else.

I can play fast licks, but usually as part of a solo I'm learning (e.g. acdc/the darkness) so it becomes entirely an ability only as a consequence of playing that song & not transportable to shredding how I would like.

Its still a bit mystery to me but I try to remember to learn slow, to try & move as little as possible, & to try & be precise and also to try & get the art of hammer ons without having my fingers 3 inches away from the fretboard (hard with the pinky)

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Perosnally I agree with the Capt. (because if I don't he'll hit me :wink: ) . I'm a huge fan of shredmania, but only if it's in the context of a catchy song.

Case in point - the other week I downloaded a track I'm sure some of you know called The Jam, a twenty minute improv shred massacre trade-off between my two favourite fretboard speedsters, Paul Gilbert and Bruce Bouillet. After it finished downloading, I couldn't listen to it fast enough. This was going to be a defining musical moment, sonic nirvana etc. Unfortunately after about five minutes I was bored with it and more than a little disappointed. Blazing technical playing aside, I just couldn't get into what was basically just a drumbeat with the two guys widdly-diddlying all over it.

Same goes with YouTube blowhards. I love watching short 30-second snippets, but last night I was watching some Euro-boofhead's three minute sweep-picking demo and I was bored to tears after about one minute.

I should stress here that I'm pro-shred, but only really dig it when it's used to create memorable songs (Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Firkins, early Kotzen, Racer X etc) rather than just demos of some guy's hypersonic fingers (Michael Angelo :roll: ).

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

i've never been into "shred" etc etc

but during the welly jam and auckland jam..

just watching Tsuken, Gelato and CD playing in a band situation was.. well.. glorious :P

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

...And dna surfer. They're all bloody amazing eh?

Maybe it's like watching motor racing. On tv it can be a bit ho hum but if you ever find yourself in the pit garage when they fire one of those beasts up it's utterly awesome.

Hahh, I had an old Falcon coupe that was the auto equivalent of an eighties big hair and spandex shred metaller. To look at it drive it or even be seen near it you'd be labelled a wanger.

But boy, when that thing cut loose... there are no words for the sound and feeling. Nothing compares... except maybe my Marshall wall of death, unleashed with Tsuken playing Black Dog through it. Yeeehaaaaa!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I used to have shredded wheat when I was a kid...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Can you eat three shredded wheat?

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - haven't had it for 50 years, mate.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Rog wrote:I used to have shredded wheat when I was a kid...
:lol:

You're gonna have to find an old etching you can scan and post to show people what shredded wheat is. Most people around here could ask their parents and even THEY wouldn't know.

:wink: :twisted:

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - whadd'ya trying to say?

Why I oughta...

BG - go clobber the Cap'n willya!

(I'd do it meself, y'know, but a straight right to the thigh doesn't have the same effect)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Put up yer dukes young man! Canes at ten paces! Bring me my walker, dammit, where's my fag when I need him?

Don't worry Rog, just pulling yer pisser. I'm not all that far behind you. Well... not that close either really.

By the way you can still get shredded wheat at the supermarket. That Nabisco ones that are shaped like weetbix. Yummy but bloody expensive.

;) :D

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL - yes, I've seen it, but I'm a tad wheat intolerant these dayze, so I pass... :)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Rog wrote:LOL - yes, I've seen it, but I'm a tad wheat intolerant these dayze, so I pass... :)
That must limit your drink choices at a bar then...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Capt. Black wrote:heaps of great stuff
Dizzam you have a great outlook on these things, good sir 8) The photography analogy is absolutely spot on.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins