Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: What don't you like about Guitars?

Post by Single coil »

OpenCoil wrote:I spent a large portion of my life wanting to be an engineer, and trying to be precise and perfect, and I grew to hate those ideas.
Hrm, I suppose I don't like how the gf can (with no experience) form a chord and make it sound great with no buzz, but hates even so much as holding a guitar. :problem:
The relevance is she's doing engineering science.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I remember reading once that guitar is the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

First bit's probably not quite true - Saxophone was pretty bloody easy.
Had the same issue as calling card... It turned into a chore.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Trems that go out of tune .
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

I couldn't think of anything I didn't like about guitars, until this morning when I was reminded that I don't like the sharp ends of the strings that stick out of the tuning posts waiting to spear the end of your finger

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Rhettsauce wrote:I'm also all about plugging straight into the amp.
Via an HD500?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Rog wrote:I remember reading once that guitar is the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master.
I've read that too, but I agree that the first part is bollocks.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Rog wrote:This is for electric guitars: I don't like that its about the ONLY modern instrument which sounds so bad by itself, that it has to be 'enhanced' with all sorts of electronic effects before being able to be played in public. I mean, pick up a bass and plug it into an amp and you're away - pick up a guitar and plug it into an amp and it sounds like shit - (according to all of you here - I bow to your collective wisdom).

Might be the popular opinion on here, but not applicable to all. I own one "effects" pedal, which is a clean boost my brother bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago. I have no idea where it is.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Danger Mouse wrote:Might be the popular opinion on here, but not applicable to all. I own one "effects" pedal, which is a clean boost my brother bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago. I have no idea where it is.
I found that tremendously funny.
If I find it can I have it? :mrgreen:

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

malevolentsparkle wrote:when at parties or whatever people say "oh you can play guitar? play [insert song here]!" which you either: 1. have never heard of, 2. have never played, 3. have played but can't remember it on the spot, or 4. can play it but they also expect you to sing it!
This. I just tell everyone that I hate Wonderwall before I even touch the strings...
"I can play you some Van Halen but you won't appreciate it...ok, I'll butcher knocking on heavens door and wild horses again...what do you mean you don't know the words to Crazy Train?"

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1230 times
Been liked: 1416 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Rog wrote:I remember reading once that guitar is the easiest instrument to learn, but the hardest to master.
I think thats bollocks though...

piano is easier to start than guitar. With a guitar you not only have to learn the notes but train your fingers to physically stretch and have strength.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

Post by malevolentsparkle »

sizzlingbadger wrote:piano is easier to start than guitar
that makes sense. anyone who can count can play a chord on piano if they know that a major chord is root, third and fifth.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I've been teaching myself keys(organ) for about 3 months now and yes sounding a note and getting great tone is easier. Thing is now I'm really starting to dig in and try to orchestrate eight fingers & two thumbs working their own ever changing patterns. Yep it's a mess like drunken soldiers falling about the field. Identifying notes is way easier and slowly becoming familiar with the black & white key landscape. In some way it's helping the guitar playing but not the practice.
Ah I dunno any musical instrument is a challenge, ear & rhythm is the greatest asset, if you are lucky enough to have imagination there is no limit.
Last edited by calling card on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Single coil wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Might be the popular opinion on here, but not applicable to all. I own one "effects" pedal, which is a clean boost my brother bought me for my birthday a couple of years ago. I have no idea where it is.
I found that tremendously funny.
If I find it can I have it? :mrgreen:
Sure, it's in my house... somewhere... if you can also find my tax statement from 2010, I'll throw in a free guitar* :D

*this may sound generous, but you haven't seen the guitar I'd give away
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

sizzlingbadger wrote:
I think thats bollocks though...

piano is easier to start than guitar. With a guitar you not only have to learn the notes but train your fingers to physically stretch and have strength.
and you don't need to stretch on keys??? Geeze I get far more cramped up on keys than on guitar ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.