AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 701 times

Re: Pedal through an overdriven amp

Post by AiRdAd »

Na :-) I was meaning werdna. We're a couple of pages into the thread, and we don't know what speakers you are using werdna. The speakers you're using could be the key to getting your sound
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Aquila Rosso wrote:So no extra tube for HBE? I mean like JCM 800 has an extra gain stage over a Plexi, but same number of tubes (just uses the other half of the V1 tube or something). What is Jose mod? Just cascade, or more to it?
Yep, extra tube for the HBE.

Jose mod is made up of a few elements, subject to interpretation, but the key elements are a plexi with an extra gain stage in front of it, a switchable master volume and diode clipping.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

AmpShop wrote:A higher power in the NZG universe keeps editing my links into embedded videos, which means they lose the start time I chose ... so that we don't all have to sit through too much ugly sound :wink:
Someone shoot that bloody Womble.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

That HBE sounds amazing!

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 775 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by Miza »

VHT amps are pretty tight.
Nothing to see here.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by werdna »

My speakers are Mesa V30s in closed cabinet.

My amps are a Slash Marshall, which is both a JCM800 and a plexi with extra tube stage; and a plexi with Jose mod.

Gentlemen, any further advice please?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Post by TmcB »

Swap speakers or trade for a Recto IMO
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

werdna wrote:My speakers are Mesa V30s in closed cabinet.

My amps are a Slash Marshall, which is both a JCM800 and a plexi with extra tube stage; and a plexi with Jose mod.

The 800 side of the Slash amp is a modded 800, bright and tight. The AFD side is an 800 with an extra gain stage.

Your modded Plexi is similar to a Friedman BE - a tight boost/OD pedal should be able to push it into something similar to HBE territory. It has a fixed depth boost in the poweramp, I'm kind of surprised you can't get what you're after with an OD pedal in front.

Do you have any examples of the tones and/or amps you're wanting to emulate? Is this essentially the same thing you were looking for in your previous post about modern high(ish) gain tones?
THE AMP SHOP LTD

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by godgrinder »

Your cab is fine.
Adding a depth control on your Jose plexi could help a bit. It's not an expensive job. I got Ryan to add one on my 2203KK and it definitely helped.
Try that and swap your pickup before proceeding to the next step, could potentially save you lots of money and hassle.

Again, Rectos are probably the least tight amongst the common high gain amps, stay away from it unless you want flubbiness instead of tight. It was probably cool when it came out, but you can get more usable amps within similar price bracket nowadays.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

godgrinder wrote:
Your cab is fine.
Adding a depth control on your Jose plexi could help a bit. It's not an expensive job. I got Ryan to add one on my 2203KK and it definitely helped.
Try that and swap your pickup before proceeding to the next step, could potentially save you lots of money and hassle.

Again, Rectos are probably the least tight amongst the common high gain amps, stay away from it unless you want flubbiness instead of tight. It was probably cool when it came out, but you can get more usable amps within similar price bracket nowadays.
His amp already has a fixed depth boost.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by werdna »

The sound I am after is the 3rd channel on a Mark Series Mesa. Polished, modern, compressed, tight.

But this discussion has been useful. I will use the plexi with the AC Boost i.e. Marshall plus TS. I'll put in a high gain pickup. It will not be as tight or dark as I need to be faithful to the material (e.g. Chevelle). But in the heat of the moment who is going to complain?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

werdna wrote:The sound I am after is the 3rd channel on a Mark Series Mesa. Polished, modern, compressed, tight.

But this discussion has been useful. I will use the plexi with the AC Boost i.e. Marshall plus TS. I'll put in a high gain pickup. It will not be as tight or dark as I need to be faithful to the material (e.g. Chevelle). But in the heat of the moment who is going to complain?
Probably nobody, especially if your *playing* is faithful to the material. That's still the most important ingredient, not the chasing of windmills.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

AmpShop wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote:So no extra tube for HBE? I mean like JCM 800 has an extra gain stage over a Plexi, but same number of tubes (just uses the other half of the V1 tube or something). What is Jose mod? Just cascade, or more to it?
Yep, extra tube for the HBE.

Jose mod is made up of a few elements, subject to interpretation, but the key elements are a plexi with an extra gain stage in front of it, a switchable master volume and diode clipping.
Thanks for info Ryan. I tend to agree with you that a 2203 or Plexi with a pedal can do the tight bass etc of the heavier metal around these days. I remember that gig you borrowed my amp for. He just used 800s with dirt and EQ from a multi effect. Sound was huge and tight as heck when he wanted it to be. I have even seen stock Plexi amps get very gainy and tight on some examples just with a little boost. Just depends on the amp because they were so random. My amp compared to the one you had that was exactly the same model for example. Both were stock at the time. My amp was flubby and his was tighter and more gainy. To me, a big part of modding them is to take a random circuit and make it do want you need in a more predictable way. I see some of the modders just do a Plexi mod on people's plexis, so they are more like the sound people imagine when they think Plexi (less random and more like the plexi example they are after).

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2503 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

I just think everybody needs to buy a Splawn :)

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 595 times

Post by godgrinder »

Molly wrote:I just think everybody needs to buy a Splawn :)
Yeah, and if you are buying brand new, the flagship model of a Splawn is actually cheaper than a stock 2203 reissue hahaha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio