Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Sweep-picking in 1975

Post by Tsuken »

Who, you ask? Chet Atkins, I reply.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE

Check from 1:15 - 6 string sweeps. Not simple rakes; all the notes are clearly defined. Chet = the man! 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Sweep-picking in 1975

Post by robnobcorncob »

No matter how fast he plays Chet always seemed to have so much space between the notes, yet it never sounds like it's mega staccato and I cannot for the life of me figure out how he does it! (John McLaughlin and Pat Martino are also great at this).

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

robnobcorncob wrote:No matter how fast he plays Chet always seemed to have so much space between the notes, yet it never sounds like it's mega staccato and I cannot for the life of me figure out how he does it!
Madd skillz?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Wow, so ahead of his time.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Jenesis wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:No matter how fast he plays Chet always seemed to have so much space between the notes, yet it never sounds like it's mega staccato and I cannot for the life of me figure out how he does it!
Madd skillz?
= truth
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Mister Guitar
June 20, 1924 - June 30, 2001
"Years from now, after I'm gone someone will listen to what I've done and know I was here. They may not know or care who I was, but they'll hear my guitars speaking for me."
- Chet Atkins -
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Too right!

Here's a cool one, a young Allan Holdsworth tearing it up in '74 with Soft Machine on a '60s SG (Les Paul) Custom. Back in the days when his tone still resembled a guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5uCGHj ... re=related

*Edit* He really goes ape-shit and lays into it at about the 5 minute mark!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

mr_sooty wrote:Wow, so ahead of his time.
Speaking of ahead of his time, the classical has a cutaway, I didn't realize you could get such a thing back then.

Great playing! Flatpicking always makes me smile.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Both those clips were awesome. I especially love young Holdsworth stuff, just as he was getting his thing together and using great old gear to do it.

Chet probably got the sweep thing from jazz dudes, who have been playing like that for decades. Often referred to as economy picking or raking. And a certain Swede was definitely not year zero. It's just that sometimes an open pirate shirt is what it takes to get a concept across to rock'n'roll dudes.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Hot_Grits wrote:Both those clips were awesome. I especially love young Holdsworth stuff, just as he was getting his thing together and using great old gear to do it.

Chet probably got the sweep thing from jazz dudes, who have been playing like that for decades. Often referred to as economy picking or raking. And a certain Swede was definitely not year zero. It's just that sometimes an open pirate shirt is what it takes to get a concept across to rock'n'roll dudes.
It baffles me that Holdsworth had the legato lick of doom flowing even back then (he would've been 28 in that video) on an SG (which I am assuming had pretty small frets compared to what he plays on now, Hollowbody Carvins with Jumbos and an extremely flat radius). All in his left hand I guess.

Bebop guitarists would be nowhere without sweep picking/rakes. Arpeggios would be a nightmare at any decent speed. I remember Pat Metheny whipped out some of the most ferocius sweep picking I've ever seen when he played in Wellington. Using a clean tone aswell, Legend.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

The interesting thing about that clip is you can hear how much he picks. He picks less these days but he still hammers and pulls a lot fewer notes than people think he does.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Hot_Grits wrote:The interesting thing about that clip is you can hear how much he picks. He picks less these days but he still hammers and pulls a lot fewer notes than people think he does.
Agreed. There are a few parts of that video where Holdsworth does the legato pull-offs of doom (on Wikipedia they liken it to a 'Reverse hammer-on' which is very true...) however they've evolved a lot over the years since then. Also weird to see him singing at the beginning!