I think I might actually be satisfied with my tone !

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 2 times

I think I might actually be satisfied with my tone !

Post by Some Bozo »

Strange but true. I've tried a zillion gadgets and guitars over the years, but lately it's all coalesced into the Wolfgang into the Satchurator distortion into Digitech RV-7 on the "modulated" reverb setting into the FX in of the Classic 30, bypassing the preamp stage. I get a nice fat distortion with a hint of glitzy production chorus and reverb, it's the most acceptable and useful "big rock guitars" tone I've managed to get at bedroom levels and modest budget. What makes me think this is the keeper, is that normally I end up liking the most sheissen tones if I just listen to them long enough that my ears get used to them and it starts to sound in my head like what I want it to sound like, when in reality it's a bunch of ass. If I come back the next day and play the same settings with a fresh set of ears, I can hear the ass-ness. So as a test I left all my settings dialled in when I went on holiday for a couple of weeks, I didn't play or listen to any guitar the whole time, came back, switched on the same settings and I actually still like it...WTF
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: I think I might actually be satisfied with my tone !

Post by Capt. Black »

HOORAY!!!!

Post of the decade! The post title to end them all! :lol:

Finally! I'm not alone. I love my sound. There's nothing missing that I want. I sometimes wish I had a few more notes in my repertoire (and my wallet) but otherwise..... nup.... I never get sick of it.

Others might.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Capt. Black wrote: Finally! I'm not alone. I love my sound. There's nothing missing that I want.
But you own a superbass :roll: :wink: not fair !

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Your tone is pretty awesome Cap'n. Even on other people's gear it seems to find a way through to some extent. But then you only play other people's gear when its going to work with you ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

robnobcorncob wrote:
Capt. Black wrote: Finally! I'm not alone. I love my sound. There's nothing missing that I want.
But you own a superbass :roll: :wink: not fair !
And now you can too! TradeMe. Right now! Go check it out!

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I've been happy with my tone for a year and a half now. It's perfect, I've found it. Welcome to the club, population 3 :D

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I dig the tones available to me. My problem is I like a lot of different sounds, so there's always more out there to covet or find a use for.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Hmmmm - weird. I thought I posted already. Ah well, I'll expand on what I thought I posted before ;)

I tend to be satisfied most of the time with whatever I have - and tend to adapt to it. I therefore don't tend to "chase" any tone in particular - despite having various sound characteristics in my head.

However, since my lovely wife got me my AMT pedals (Fatal Tube and California Sound) I've been even more happy with my tone than I have in a long while. They is luverly. 8) Big and fat with a hint (or more ;) ) of 80s cheese, but still sounding like the particular guitar that's plugged in.

Tsuken <3 AMT 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

ash wrote:Your tone is pretty awesome Cap'n. Even on other people's gear it seems to find a way through to some extent. But then you only play other people's gear when its going to work with you ;)
+1 It's a massive, massive, 200% cool tone 8)

- Although it doesn't play nicely with me/my guitar/my playing, but that's down to our differing styles ... oh, and to me not knowing how to drive such an amp O_O
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Yep I'll chime in too... I found it: single coils>guitar lead>JCM800 2204>Splawn quad.
No effects, no 'verb & just one volume dial. 8)
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

My tone is about 95% where I want it to be.

Today I finally got my gain sounds all sorted, they all work very well with each other.
t-rex mudhoney for a mild Overdrive (eric johnson style, but without the treble rolled off completely)
mudhoney + mesa crunch for smooth high gain soloing/rhythm tones
Mesa Lead for uber gain (old school dream theater-ish at the moment which is great)

I can also use the mudhoney at the same time as mesa Lead channel for that boosted high gain feel (killswitch engage, Carcass, Arch Enemy etc.) but it gets a bit crazy.

Best of all it sounds good at low volume (in my bedroom no less :lol: )

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

i`m digging my tone at the moment

fuzziebro amp + ESP = OMFG I have tone outa my butt type stuff oh yea oh baby

loud i have happy days tone. a few years ago i had way too many pedals, now only a handfull.
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I've always been happy with my amp's tone.

I just keep adding other pedal flavours to it. :D

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I'm happy with my tone, cos I have a lousy ear for guitar tone :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I always think I'm satisfied with my tone, but then I go searching for more and usually ruin what I had. I kinda miss my old faithful 57 reissue Strat, that had tone to die for, and my old modified Boss compressor. Those two were key to my tone and I foolishly let them go in the search for more. I could sell what I have and get them back, but I would be concerned that they weren't what I'm making them out to be in my mind, and that I would feel the same way about the stuff I let go to get them back. Lol.