Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Definitions on tone

Post by Hot_Grits »

Capt. Black wrote:Yeah me too.

There's obviously that move away from overdriven to cleaner and cleaner amps during the 60s for Fender. And I guess in my mind, as with many people, Fender is identified with that CLEAN.

My mate has a '63 Showman head which resided here for about a year. Was one of those funny transition models that Fender used to do to use up stuff in the warehouse. Black Face amp, facia and controls in a Blond cabinet. Some nice ciggie burns on it too. Supposed to be about 85watts but didn't seem to get anywhere near that. Was virtually impossible to overdrive. But had the most beautiful warm rounded tone.
Trying to figure out some form of leverage to have that left to me if anything ever happens to him. I think he's figured out that nothing will happen to him if he doesn't put that in his will.
I remember seeing that and having lustful thoughts. Is it reborrowable? -I regret not hassling you for a blat.

One of the reasons that amp was nowhere near 85w was that blonde and blackface bandmasters were only rated at 40w.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Capt. Black wrote:Oh yeah and there's so little of that era fender here because of the mighty import duties of those days. That sort of paved the way for jansen to do so well with look-a-likes (if not sound a-likes) and I forget who it was but Fender twins were assembled in NZ under license for years.
It was somewhere either near Welly or in the Hawkes Bay. Someone on here will know. Locally-made twin-spotting was a standard skill for a guitar shop employee back when I was a kid. Those local twins were not well respected back then. Of course they probably have a following nowadays from 'anything old is good/vintage' folk, the same people that lust after lead-heavy 70s strats with wobbly neck joints and 2in poly finishes...

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Showman not Bandmaster.

http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=85

Like twin without the reverb or the speakers built in.

And I'm sure I can tee up a blat for you some time.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Capt. Black wrote:Showman not Bandmaster.

http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=85

Like twin without the reverb or the speakers built in.

And I'm sure I can tee up a blat for you some time.
Doh. Bad skim-reader.

I'd luuurve to have a hoon!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Oooh look.
http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=84
It's exactly like the one on top but with ciggie burn marks.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

"Woody" makes me think of a particular sound you get from a les paul with a moderate amount of distortion on it, which gives me a mental picture of a big piece of wood creaking. Ultimate example is the ascending chromatic bit at the end of Led Zep "Living Loving Maid" solo, that "ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk" sound.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Some Bozo wrote:"Woody" makes me think of a particular sound you get from a les paul with a moderate amount of distortion on it, which gives me a mental picture of a big piece of wood creaking. Ultimate example is the ascending chromatic bit at the end of Led Zep "Living Loving Maid" solo, that "ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk" sound.
That's a cool lick. Total country chicken picking.

For me, woody is more a certain midrange response, usually from a mildy overdriven amp. The kind of tone where the sound isn't so compressed that the mids thcken up too much and you can still hear the character of the guitar's wood.

On the subject of the many meanings these words spring, all the recent talk of bf fenders got me thinking: for blackface it's generally the case that 'glassy', 'clean' and 'scooped' are all suitable. Scooped in terms of the reduction in midrange compared to the tweed/brown/blonde amps.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I agree with Ears, Mark Knofler has astounding Strat tone. Brothers in Arms is the pinicle of Strat tone in my book.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

To me it comes down really to two things to think about with tone: 1. Do I like it? 2. Do I not? :P
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Tsuken wrote:To me it comes down really to two things to think about with tone: 1. Do I like it? 2. Do I not? :P
Haha! Profound! That cuts through like a tele!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

dc wrote:
Tsuken wrote:To me it comes down really to two things to think about with tone: 1. Do I like it? 2. Do I not? :P
Haha! Profound! That cuts through like a tele!
Whilst this approach does reek of Orwellian language reduction ala 1984, "tone good/tone bad" is probably preferable overall to "well, it's sort of a spanky, slightly woody clean sound that's fairly glassy with a bit of warmth, a tiny amount of scoop, a touch of quack with just a little fat overdrive when you lean into it..."

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

Capt. Black wrote:Oh yeah and there's so little of that era fender here because of the mighty import duties of those days. That sort of paved the way for jansen to do so well with look-a-likes (if not sound a-likes) and I forget who it was but Fender twins were assembled in NZ under license for years.

Jansen made em

i heard Maton made the strats and tellies in the 60`s and seventys too

sush dont tell anyone
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

With tthe current popularity of Telecasters, I'm suprised that nobody seems to have mentioned "twang".
A very common desciption of guitar tone.

People are saying the Fenders are "glassy", where as my friend always says his twin "sparkles".
I always thought "glassy" decribed the old Marshall bluesbreaker sound. Or rather Marshall decribed the Bluebreaker sound as "Glassy" in their blub on it.

There is a very big difference in tone between the short scale of a Les Paul or SG and the longer scale length of most other gats. I'm not sure how to desribe it.

A common term people use to desribe a tone they are not happy with is "Shit".

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Twang = that tele sound in that Oz TV series "Blue Heelers" ? or is that spank? or does spank = twang?
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Ears wrote:Twang = that tele sound in that Oz TV series "Blue Heelers" ? or is that spank? or does spank = twang?
Nuh, I think that "spank" has more to do with playing with "wang" than "twang". :lol: