Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

First live performance.

Post by Red Fred »

Hi everyone,
Well this coming tuesday my mate and I are playing at my mate's going away party. There will be about 50 people there which isnt alot but still it's the most I have ever played in front of, so I'm after some tips.

I ahve one worked out, practise like a mofo from hell! Others? :?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

yeah, chill out... practice but don't get too uptight about it - it only makes it worse.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Yeah, too late for practice now, you either know it or dont. Work on your delivery, smile, if you screw up work on how to get back in, if you or your mate make a mistake act like it was on purpose, don't stop or give each other strange looks.

Just keep your cool. And be professional even if its just for friends. Dont spend hours shuffling your gear, tuning up and looking cool. Get up there and play.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

have fun and wink at all the pretty ladies ;)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Smoke a joint at least an hour before hand to settle any nerves. Sometime a small shot of something to bring down the heart rate.

Don't use the best guitur you have, use the one with decals on it and look like you are a regular Keith Richards.

Chicks dig the cool look.

Otherwise knock them dead.

:wink:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ah yeah, don't forget if you play a bum note - play it again twice as confidently while smiling, they'll think its jazz...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Make sure your fly is done up, don't trip over untied laces, and make sure you have your lead around your strap so it's a lot less likely to fall out.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and straplocks of course, don't want to do a Clapton....

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

What did clapton do?? Or more to the point what is the occasion you are talking about?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

During 'The Last Waltz' which was the farewell concert of 'The Band', he was pissed (as usual) and dropped his guitar on stage.... of course it was being filmed at the time ;) ooops....

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

d'oh!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

What impressed me during that Last Waltz performance was how well Robbie Robertson covered it up.

RF - nothing we can say will sink in on the night. All you can do is go out with the intention of having as much fun as you can. You will most likley make mistakes - everyone does (even Clapton).

When you make the mistakes - don't chide yourself - just laugh at yourself. IME, when I get pissed off at myself, I play way too tight, as if I had a headless bass up my bum - LOL

When I relax and just do whatever it is I can do - things flow much better. Natch I still play total crap, but at least I'm enjoying making an idiot of myself.

Smile, laugh and ogle (drooling isn't encouraged though) & above all, try not to get caught perving ....
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Don't do things you don't normally do when practicing. Its a party, but don't get any more hammered than you would at practice!! ;)

Well, you can if you want, but everyone will know why your playing sucked :D

Smile, look at your audience, move around and don't leave big yawning gaps between each song while your band mates try to make up their mind what to play next...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

DrRog wrote:& above all, try not to get caught perving ....
nah, go for it mate - its one of the perks :) The only times I've been pissed off are when band members decided its a good idea to do a song we've only played once before.... not a good idea.

Relax and enjoy.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

smile?? that's like a nz idol type performance.. and have you guys noticed that the singer for zed is always smiling (i think the record label told him to do that). .

you can smile, but not the kind of smile those nz idol guys do.. does everyone agree with me that it looks gay??

look impassive, look cool ;)