Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Album Mixing Tips

Post by nightmare »

Hey guys

My band has just recently finished recording our debut album in my home studio and today I have begun mixing it.I was just wondering if anybody had some good tips to help me along my way.I've done some fairly basic mixing etc in the past but since this is our debut album I want to try and step up my game a bit.

I have been working on one song this afternoon which is starting to sound great,but there's still some things to improve upon.The drums I'm stoked with,we're using EZDrummer and I added a multi-band compressor and some reverb to it which sounds killer.I have 2 rhythm guitars,each panned left and right and the bass track in the center.The vocals I'm happy with,lead vocals near the center with 2 backing vocals also panned left and right.I guess the main concern I have is with regards to EQing.I like my guitar tracks to sound quite 'ballsy',but I have been trying to make sure the low guitar frequencies don't interfere with the bass and kick drum.

Cheers
Samuel

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Album Mixing Tips

Post by robnobcorncob »

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Remember to pan the drums (toms especially) appropriately.

If you want your guitars to sound like guitars then don't scoop the mids otherwise you'll sound like and justice for all. If you want to make them chunkier then double track them again (copy + paste doesn't sound as thick as double tracking).

Most importantly: Lots of people have different ideas about mixing, having input from lots of people is great however if it sounds good then it's good, use your ears and trust your judgement. Also don't mix for long periods of time without a break as your ears will get tired and don't mix at crazy loud volume. Test your mix on headphones as well as monitors to make sure it sounds good on both.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

See if you can find someone really good at mixing to come and give you some "tuition" for an hour or two, that way you are still the one mixing it. Just make sure you discuss with them first to see what the expect in terms of credit. Just an idea.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Only tip I would give sam is if you did all the recording and a lot of the playing then get someone else to mix it. I have fallen into the trap of doing just about everything and it is a struggle to be honest.....you really need some independent ears for the final polish

maybe someone on here would be kind enough to have ago for ya (I would but haven't done it in so long I doubt whether the results would be any good)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

i second willow 13's fine wisdom.

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

Thanks guys

Scooping the mids out of the guitars is likely what was causing the 'boom' sound when I tested the song on my computer speakers after mixing it down.I'll try it again with the mids in there.

That's a fair point to make about getting someone else to come in,my main concern with that would be whether or not we'd have to pay them to do it.Due to our lack of a drummer I programmed the drums for the album,performed all guitars (minus a few guest solos) and vocals,then of course the bassist added her parts in so having someone from outside of the band would be a good idea.I have a friend in mind actually who has had some basic experience with this type of thing before,simply to give a second opinion.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Opinions are always helpful, but I was meaning a professional, ie someone whose services aren't free (an hour or two shouldn't break the bank).

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

nightmare wrote:I have a friend in mind actually who has had some basic experience with this type of thing before,simply to give a second opinion.
good idea, but instead of a second opinion let them mix it first and yours can be the second opinion.

Also depending on the format the tracks are in you can decide what you can afford and maybe get a pro to mix it...just tell him you can only afford X amount of hours so you know exactly how much it will cost (they should also let you sit in on the mixing so you could pick up some great tips)

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Timi wrote:Opinions are always helpful, but I was meaning a professional, ie someone whose services aren't free (an hour or two shouldn't break the bank).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: damn you keep beating me to it :shock: 8) 8)

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

if you really want the experience of mixing it yourself get a copy of Stavs "mixing with your mind" (google it)

the tips he gives a simple and real.

....but while Im here...make sure you have a good "reference track" or preferably several. Choose a high budget CD (not a low hi download :roll: ) thats in the same genre as your material and keep compaing your mix to the CD.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

Lawrence wrote:if you really want the experience of mixing it yourself get a copy of Stavs "mixing with your mind" (google it)

the tips he gives a simple and real.

....but while Im here...make sure you have a good "reference track" or preferably several. Choose a high budget CD (not a low hi download :roll: ) thats in the same genre as your material and keep compaing your mix to the CD.
I'm definitely looking at mixing it myself and I'll certainly search for a copy of that.I have a good idea of how I want it to sound,I think it's just a matter of getting it there.I have lots to use as reference so that's something I'll keep in my mind too,cheers.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Take your time.

You'll learn so much as you go but be prepared to go back and re-do tracks as you get a better handle on the process.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say, be prepared to rip tracks apart and start again as your mixing improves.

Be ready to dial in some fucked up sounds to impart each track its own personality.

HANGMAN
Ashton
Ashton

Post by HANGMAN »

the biggest simplest tip i can think of is TEST YOUR MIXES ON ALL SORTS OF SPEAKERS! - as many different types as you can.
Heaps of people love how their monitors sound and put too much faith in them - nothing more embarrassing than running off to a mate with your badass mix to have it come out sounding shite!

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 360 times
Been liked: 284 times

Post by Kev77 »

Capt. Black wrote:
Be ready to dial in some fucked up sounds to impart each track its own personality.
this
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

mike_s
Stagg
Stagg

Post by mike_s »

Having just finished mixing a CD (http://paulwinders.bandcamp.com) on which I also did a fair bit of the music, I realised one of the things I forgot was to constantly check against my reference cd's. It is so easy to miss the woods for the trees, and checking back against something you like (and sounds good in numerous environments) will help to keep you from going around in ever decreasing circles.

I also like Mixerman's "Zen and the Art of Mixing". It won't tell you to cut 3db at 500Hz, but it does help you to approach a mix and get the best music out of what is in front of you.