Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

SgtSyd
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Inspiration! Where do you find it?

Post by SgtSyd »

Hello there people!!

So I decided to make this thread, and I decided that this might as well be the best place to post it. I'm probably wrong, but ohwell!

Anyway, on to the matter at hand. I find that I play/create the best things after I get some inspiration. For example, watching music documentaries. There's nothing like watching a video on how some of my favourite musicians came to be. I watched a documentary on Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd the other day, and couldn't help but want to create some psychedelic magic. Or maybe it's something as simple as one lyric that makes you just wanna write a song based on that idea. It could even be that feeling you get when it's pouring with rain outside and you just want to create a beautiful piece.

Whatever it is I wanna know! What gets you out of bed in the middle of night to just start playing guitar? Who are you musical role models? What is a piece of music you love so much that no matter how much you listen to it it never gets old?

Hopefully I, and whoever else reads this, finds some kind of new idol or some great music to listen to. :D

Syd
"I could be happy in infinity
Of the space of my eyelid
But I know I’m somewhere else
Where the words on this page
Are better than the scribling nonsense they are"

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Inspiration! Where do you find it?

Post by willow13 »

when I was in my most prolific writing phase around 10 years ago it was lord byron poetry and a lot of tom hollands stuff that opened up wells of inspiration
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I find given enough time, the right guitar and amp, something usually comes along reasonably quickly. I find head space my biggest driver to create. And it's probably what I have the least of.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

At the moment I find good, evocative music on TV shows and films is what inspires me the most effectively. There's a piece of incidental music in the first episode of the BBC show "Luther" that just blew me away. The title music for Game Of Thrones was another piece that drove me to write something specific.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Booze... problem is the playing gets in the way long term :lol: Get a new amp that needs to have heaps of hours run up on it is a good motivator. Mess with alternative tunings & slide - turning all that you know upside down, traveling to places unknown yet hauntingly familiar. In a dirty old blues band...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

SgtSyd
Stagg
Stagg

Post by SgtSyd »

Thanks for the replies!

I've got to say booze either makes me better or much worse aha. I'll either be strumming those strings like a mad man or my fingers will decide that they forgot how to move. xD

And yes! New things always help out. I've been playing around with half step down tuning quite a bit lately and I've been loving the grim chords I'm getting out of it.
"I could be happy in infinity
Of the space of my eyelid
But I know I’m somewhere else
Where the words on this page
Are better than the scribling nonsense they are"

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

SgtSyd wrote: Whatever it is I wanna know! What gets you out of bed in the middle of night to just start playing guitar? Who are you musical role models? What is a piece of music you love so much that no matter how much you listen to it it never gets old?
Nah. I just play and play. And play. And then, somehow, I hear a couple of scattered notes and think "That's the one!" and start trying to take those couple of notes somewhere. There's no waking up with a tune in my head for me.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2502 times

Post by Slowy »

Never had any. That's why I haunt the Forum.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

SgtSyd wrote:Hello there people!!

So I decided to make this thread, and I decided that this might as well be the best place to post it. I'm probably wrong, but ohwell!

Anyway, on to the matter at hand. I find that I play/create the best things after I get some inspiration. For example, watching music documentaries. There's nothing like watching a video on how some of my favourite musicians came to be. I watched a documentary on Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd the other day, and couldn't help but want to create some psychedelic magic. Or maybe it's something as simple as one lyric that makes you just wanna write a song based on that idea. It could even be that feeling you get when it's pouring with rain outside and you just want to create a beautiful piece.

Whatever it is I wanna know! What gets you out of bed in the middle of night to just start playing guitar? Who are you musical role models? What is a piece of music you love so much that no matter how much you listen to it it never gets old?

Hopefully I, and whoever else reads this, finds some kind of new idol or some great music to listen to. :D

Syd
not really docos (but they do help) but live DVDs of favourite bands gets me really inspired and think "thats where I wanna be" and gets me in the mood/zone for gigging, unfortunately there's not usually time for a music DVD before a gig.
In terms of just noodling/songwriting, it depends. More often than not the songs I write for my band don't come from a riff or lyric idea, they're more "I want to write a song that has a similar feel/impact to this song xxx, how do I get there" sometimes it's just a sound in my head, quite often drums funnily enough, and the guitar riff usually just writes itself. Then when it comes to lyrics and melodies, they usually follow the music and I just have to play around to make them fit. On freak occasions (like the first song I wrote for the band) I had music and lyrics, showed them to the band and made the melodies up on the spot, and the first time I played it through is pretty much exactly the way I sing it now
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Terrible drugs and woman, good booze and missions.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2502 times

Post by Slowy »

Best comment I've heard over a dinner table ever, "My creativity's not inspired at the moment. It's probably because I'm too happy. But sooner or later, either my husband will leave me or I'll kill him and things will return to normal."
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Good music inspires me. Quite often I'll put a CD on at home, get about half way through it then have to turn it off and go play guitar for an hour.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Taylor
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Taylor »

benderissimo wrote:At the moment I find good, evocative music on TV shows and films is what inspires me the most effectively. There's a piece of incidental music in the first episode of the BBC show "Luther" that just blew me away. The title music for Game Of Thrones was another piece that drove me to write something specific.
If you enjoyed the music in Game of Thrones, let me recommend to you The Legend of Korra:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW9IwdyO4jQ[/youtube]

nztim
Squier
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nztim »

I got hugely inspired after watching "It might get loud"

I would recommend any guitarist that hasn't seen it to watch it, and any who have to watch it again....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YvNVqf2at0[/youtube]
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make."

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

yeah it might get loud always gets me going. Seen it probably 10 times already, but always have an urge to watch it again
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks