Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Radian Tele, Robin with BKPs and Ryan built amp sound demos

Post by bender »

Finally got around to recording some quick demos of the pickups in my Radian (Ash Benderbucker and Ash hot tele bridge) as well as my Gold Robin (Bareknuckle Manhattan HB sized P-90s). They're pretty basic demos- I just put a mic up while I was noodling and picked the most representative sections.

First up is a short single note section:

Then a chordy section:

In all of them I go from the neck most switch position to the bridge position. The Radian has five positions- Benderbucker Strat coil, BB both coils in parallel, BB J-90 coil, BB J-90 coil + Bridge, Bridge.

All the clips were recorded through my Ryan built Tremo/Vibro/Rhinolux with a Cascade Fathead Ribbon mic about 2 feet away, the mic pre in my DDA console and a MOTU 828 feeding Pro Tools. No compression, EQ or reverb added. There's a bit of reverb on the recording but that's the sound of my room.
Last edited by bender on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bender
Darth Fader

Re: Bender's Gear Demos

Post by bender »

And here are a couple of demos of the amp. It was built by Ryan at CustomAudioBoutique and is basically a modded tremolux. The differences between it and a stock one are a different rectumfryer tube, a push/pull bright cap, three inputs with different voicings and a mid cut tone control (as opposed to treble cut). These are recorded with a Dr Z Brakelite attenuator on full attenuation (coz it's damn loud) using my Robin Savoy's bridge pickup (see above).

First- volume on around 7 (out of 12).

Second- volume on around 10 (out of 12).

There's a bit of extra hairiness that disappears with the attuator backed off a bit but the amp gets painfully loud in the space I'm in hence the full attenuation. I normally use it with the volume on about 4 which sounds great- just a bit dirt.

bender
Darth Fader

Re: Radian Tele, Robin with BKPs and Ryan built amp sound de

Post by bender »

Added soundcloud player. Thanks BG!

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Sounds great!!!
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Sounds mean, not sure I'd pick a preference between the two guitars, not better or worse, just different!

Just curious, do you use the fathead I or II, and have you tried both?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

aliasceiza wrote:Sounds mean, not sure I'd pick a preference between the two guitars, not better or worse, just different!

Just curious, do you use the fathead I or II, and have you tried both?
I've got a pair of Fathead 1s. Apparently the only difference is in the housing. Not sure if you can upgrade the transformers in the Fathead 1s.

They're more different than the clips imply- I had the bright switch off for the Radian and on for the Robin (P-90s vs single-coils) and the volume backed off slightly for the Robin (the P-90s are way hotter). I've finally found the zone for the BKP Manhattans- they need a bit of extra amp brightness to really shine. I'm still trying to work out what I want in a second amp at the moment. The Rhinolux covers tweed really well apart from low volume dirt so a tweed princeton or similar could be cool. OTOH something really different like a little Vox or Marshall might be more useful.