cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Help with pedal order

Post by cholera »

No effects loop in your amp? I have an Ibanz EQ that seems to do next to nothing when in ront of the amp, but i the effects loop its sensitive as hell....just wondered but I guess you would have mentioned this if you had one....

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

Post by malevolentsparkle »

cholera wrote:No effects loop in your amp?
no, the Jansen Bassman is very simple. just 2 (non-switchable) channels, both with volume, bass and treble. hence the need for an EQ!
I have an Ibanz EQ that seems to do next to nothing when in ront of the amp, but i the effects loop its sensitive as hell
an effects loop would push a lot more current into the EQ. maybe if you boosted the volume before the EQ it might be more sensitive. I might try that too.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Have you considered it may be the amp that's accentuating the low end, not the Hotcake? I have a silverplate 70s Bassman50 and man that thing has serious baws! I always wish it had a Mids dial but they (the mids) do come to life when you crank the thing. I totally understand why the amp has the word "bass" in its name - someone said the silverface ones have meatier transformers for deeper low end too, youch.

Don't listen to the compression haters :mrgreen: It depends what you're after - if you like it you like it. You could try the EQ at the end of the chain and knock some bass out from the dark CC and the Hotcake earlier in the chain - I would add a touch of mids too to compensate for the scooped thing the Bassman has going on.

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

Post by malevolentsparkle »

oh yeah it's definitely the amp too, but I have the bluesberry version of the hotcake which has less 'fuzz' to it so the lows come in clearer. I'm lucky my 335 has nice highs or I might as well be playing bass! Don't get me wrong though, I love the bassman, it's just nice to have some other tones.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab