Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Help with pedal order

Post by malevolentsparkle »

I got a MXR super comp compressor the other day and now I am wondering what order I should put all my pedals in. I guess I want to know the most usable/standard order and maybe some fun things to try.

You can see my whole setup in my sig, but here's my pedals:

Carvin ME1 (EQ)
MXR Super Comp (compressor)
Bluesberry Hotcake (overdrive)
MXR Carbon Copy (analog delay)

I don't use the EQ very much but I would like to.

thanks.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7749 times
Been liked: 4189 times

Re: Help with pedal order

Post by jeremyb »

I'd go comp->od->delay->EQ personally, some people like the OD after the delay tho'....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I'd move the EQ before the OD.
Behind the delay could give you some really odd side effects.
I tend to think you should have your sound right before it goes in to a delay, as the delay will change the sound a little bit on each repeat, applying the same eq to each repeat will be weird
Ummm....

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

sopachrga wrote:I'd move the EQ before the OD.
Behind the delay could give you some really odd side effects.
I tend to think you should have your sound right before it goes in to a delay, as the delay will change the sound a little bit on each repeat, applying the same eq to each repeat will be weird
so your thinking: comp->eq->od->delay?
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Try both and see if one suits you better. Definitely Comp first, then dirt followed by modulation. Never used EQ.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Yeah. The Eq could go either side of the Od. You'd need to see what works best.
I've found previously that using the Eq to take some low end out and boosting it back up with the od can help tighten up the bottom end. But if you find your od has a harsh high end or something, you may get more use with the eq after it.
Ummm....

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

sopachrga wrote: if you find your od has a harsh high end or something, you may get more use with the eq after it.
the bluesberry hotcake has a real nice big bottom end and my amp can be very bottom heavy too so I usually use the EQ to drop out some bass and boost the treble a bit.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Againmst the grain, I say try also comp last...allow the drive pedal muances to be driven by string attack etc, then squash the signal...the ultimate is to place it discretely in the effects loop so the preamp stage also works with string pick attack better.

Better still, throw the comp in the bin :wink:
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

*UNIQUE* wrote:Againmst the grain, I say try also comp last...allow the drive pedal muances to be driven by string attack etc, then squash the signal
you mean after the OD? right at the end after the delay would sound weird! I have thought about putting the comp after the od as the hotcake is very responsive, but that said if I want more dynamics I will turn off the compressor! putting the comp before the od gives me another od style.

i'm liking the idea of comp->eq->od->delay. it's a pity I can't put the EQ in an effects loop because that is what it is designed for, but the bassman don't have one so I will use the EQ to shape the od.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Againmst the grain, I say try also comp last...allow the drive pedal muances to be driven by string attack etc, then squash the signal...the ultimate is to place it discretely in the effects loop so the preamp stage also works with string pick attack better.

Make sure you have a compressor and a Tele; then you can be picked on equally by everyone. :lol:
Comp after drives can be hellishly noisy. If you like to keep the pick attack, you need something like a Wampler compressor with an adjustable attack knob. Excellent addition to a comp pedal.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

slowfingers wrote: If you like to keep the pick attack, you need something like a Wampler compressor with an adjustable attack knob. Excellent addition to a comp pedal.
the super comp has one. its great, I don't think I would use a compressor without one. I was never a fan of compressors, I like dynamics, but my whole setup is very dynamic and I don't have any 'natural' compression anywhere in the signal chain. So the super comp is prefect for me.
Last edited by malevolentsparkle on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

malevolentsparkle wrote:
slowfingers wrote: If you like to keep the pick attack, you need something like a Wampler compressor with an adjustable attack knob. Excellent addition to a comp pedal.
the super comp has one. its great, I don't think I would use a compressor without one
You're all set then. You've only got 4 pedals so try all the combinations and trust your ears. Some will be better than others but you can't do any harm by experimenting.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Comp last could work actually... as a signal linedriver and an always-on light compression. More extreme settings would just squash everything (no boost/volume dynamics from the Hotcake) and roll the chime off the tone too.

If you use the EQ to help tame some of the low end in the Hotcake, then definitely EQ after it. However, Carbon Copy's are super dark too so the EQ bass cut might help there aswell.

Into a mostly-clean amp I really like having drive at the end of the chain, like a pre-amp.

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mitch.twentyfive »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
This.

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

MogwaiBoy wrote: If you use the EQ to help tame some of the low end in the Hotcake, then definitely EQ after it. However, Carbon Copy's are super dark too so the EQ bass cut might help there aswell.

Into a mostly-clean amp I really like having drive at the end of the chain, like a pre-amp.
hmm these are good ideas too. So you think to tame the low end of the hotcake I should EQ AFTER it? maybe putting the EQ at the very end as a pre-amp might be a good idea.