Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Buffered vs True Bypass Pedals

Post by Pastasauce »

Really interesting Pete Thorn video here...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOWeoizp4y0&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Of course, my pedalboard is a mish-mash of buffered and true bypass pedals... not sure what that does to the tone.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1218 times
Been liked: 1408 times

Re: Buffered vs True Bypass Pedals

Post by sizzlingbadger »

nothing wrong with a good buffer, it can improve tone by reducing impedance mis-match losses etc. A good buffer at the start of the pedal chain is good in IMHO.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Yeah, what that vid fails to mention is the effect of stacking too many buffered pedals in a line. I'd like to hear 5 buffered pedals in a row versus 1 buffered and 4 TB.
And then there's fuzz and active pickups, which don't like buffers....just to add to the confusion. :P

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Scooter13 wrote:Yeah, what that vid fails to mention is the effect of stacking too many buffered pedals in a line. I'd like to hear 5 buffered pedals in a row versus 1 buffered and 4 TB.
And then there's fuzz and active pickups, which don't like buffers....just to add to the confusion. :P
+1

A good buffer is indeed a good thing, but like most things in guitarland, there's many exceptions to the rule.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Scooter13 wrote:Yeah, what that vid fails to mention is the effect of stacking too many buffered pedals in a line. I'd like to hear 5 buffered pedals in a row versus 1 buffered and 4 TB.
I used to run about 5 buffered pedals and maybe one or two TB pedals with no negative effects.

On another note, I have a strong feeling this is going to quickly become a heated debate thread.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

HD500.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

Quick dumb question... do buffered pedals add or amplify the highs in your signal? Does that mean if you have 4 in your chain (like me) you will be getting more treble in your signal than you would plugging straight into the amp?

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Well, what do your ears tell you? :shifty:
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Rhettsauce wrote:Quick dumb question... do buffered pedals add or amplify the highs in your signal? Does that mean if you have 4 in your chain (like me) you will be getting more treble in your signal than you would plugging straight into the amp?
A good buffer will not add or subtract EQ but not all buffers are good. You may perceive to get more treble out of a good buffer as it is reducing treble losses as clearly audible in the video. If the first pedal in the chain is buffered it can really help reduce losses due to cable capacitance which is what that video is showing specifically.

The age-old argument that buffers are bad or true bypass is good/bad is just nonsense, as usual it depends on the quality of the buffer and where in the chain they are placed. For example its good to have a buffered pedal in front of a pedal with a low input impedance as it reduces the losses you would otherwise experience.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I just buy pedals that sound good. Only one of the them is TB, so I surmise that I prefer the buffered way of things.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Some don't like True Bypass due the fact they often pop / click when you press the foot-switch.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

sizzlingbadger wrote: The age-old argument that buffers are bad or true bypass is good/bad is just nonsense
YES!
Bad input impendance causes the thing all the real uppity people (cork sniffers?) call "tone suck". Bad input impendance I have found to be unheard of with Boss pedals. Funny, cuz they get whinged about the most.
Oh, and crybaby pedals. But they're supposed to be notorious for it.

bbrunskill wrote:I just buy pedals that sound good. Only one of the them is TB, so I surmise that I prefer the buffered way of things.
And a pint for you too.

Buffers help. They push your signal along. Too much true bypass = you lose signal.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

That video rules (though the old guy mumbles a bit). I'm glad they used a humble and much maligned DS-1 too. Point proven - except as stated there are exceptions (Fuzzfaces with buffers before them etc) and not all buffers are created equal.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

the more I play guitar, the more I realize that Boss just gets it right. They do NOT 'suck tone', the form and case design is better that anything else, and they sound really good.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

My Boss DD20 was a great pedal, very well built and didn't suck tone.