nztim
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Squeal in effects chain...?

Post by nztim »

Effects Chain -

Gat > Dunlop Original Wah > Boss FZ5 > Ibanez TS-9 > Razorgrin (Made by AlanP) > Vox Night Train

(Alot of Gains I know but I dont use delays or mods, so have them all set to different sounds)

I am powering this with an 800mA Adaptor. I thought It might be underpowered, which I think is agreed with the fact when I remove a pedal from the chain the squeal drops in tone.

Any other reasons why I would have the squeal? Its not super loud but it is noticeable.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make."

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Squeal in effects chain...?

Post by cholera »

You probably haven't gone over the current draw limit, but it only takes a minute to google each pedal and see what the draw is for each one. At least you can eliminate that as a possible cause.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

The mA requirement should be fine - dirt pedals draw 8-15mA on average.

You say the squeel disappears when you remove a pedal - any pedal? That's kinda strange if any one pedal removed fixes it.

Not to comment on the build quality or excellent workmanship seen on most homebuilt pedals, but I have had some issues with DIY dirt pedals not chaining before - ie: that whiny electrical squeel when daisy chained, which i've never experienced elsewhere. I think some clone schematics and stuff like that don't really go heavy duty in terms of recommended power filtering.

Cue: dedicated power supply suggestions :lol:

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

MogwaiBoy wrote:The mA requirement should be fine - dirt pedals draw 8-15mA on average.

You say the squeel disappears when you remove a pedal - any pedal? That's kinda strange if any one pedal removed fixes it.

Not to comment on the build quality or excellent workmanship seen on most homebuilt pedals, but I have had some issues with DIY dirt pedals not chaining before - ie: that whiny electrical squeel when daisy chained, which i've never experienced elsewhere. I think some clone schematics and stuff like that don't really go heavy duty in terms of recommended power filtering.

Cue: dedicated power supply suggestions :lol:
The squeal dosent go when I remove a pedal it drops a tone (as in less high pitch) The more in the more high pitch, no matter what order or what 3 pedals It produces a squeal... Could it be a bad power supply? Can power supplies create noise?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Some cheaper switch mode power supplies squeal like a little piglet.

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mitch.twentyfive »

it just sounds like a crappy power supply. try another, like a one spot.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Or voodoo labs pedal power 2. That will solve your issues and last for years.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Try them on batteries, one at a time.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Yeah it's almost definitely a crappy power supply. We have one particular brand of power supply at work that will squeal with just about any drive pedal. It's unbearable. I don't recommend it to anyone and have recommended that we don't get any more in. Get a guyatone or a 1 spot. Not too expensive and both work well.

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mitch.twentyfive »

bbrunskill wrote:Or voodoo labs pedal power 2. That will solve your issues and last for years.
YES.

really expensive though.
if you plan on adding more effects to your chain, this would be the best option.
isolated power supplies FTW.

if not, a 1 spot and daisy chain will do. think u can buy 'em in a pack that comes with all the necessary cables n shit.

niceguyollie
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by niceguyollie »

Quite high pitched? Like a whining sound? I'd agree with the others and say that it's most likely a power supply issue. Try all the pedals with 9vs, and if the sounds disappears completely, then that is definitely your problem.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

nztim wrote: The squeal dosent go when I remove a pedal it drops a tone (as in less high pitch) The more in the more high pitch, no matter what order or what 3 pedals It produces a squeal... Could it be a bad power supply? Can power supplies create noise?
Smaller switchmode power supplies can yes. Better if you can seek out one of those bigger brick things. I think even a Boss PSA will do you fine. If it still squeals then try removing the DIY dirt pedal or just putting it on batteries.

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

MogwaiBoy wrote:
nztim wrote: The squeal dosent go when I remove a pedal it drops a tone (as in less high pitch) The more in the more high pitch, no matter what order or what 3 pedals It produces a squeal... Could it be a bad power supply? Can power supplies create noise?
Smaller switchmode power supplies can yes. Better if you can seek out one of those bigger brick things. I think even a Boss PSA will do you fine. If it still squeals then try removing the DIY dirt pedal or just putting it on batteries.
Yea I removed the DIY one, still problem. dosent matter what pedals are on there. ok so ill be looking for a new power supply. haha. cheers guys