Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2502 times

Stripped bare and nowhere to hide.

Post by Slowy »

Ryan has had my pedalboard for a couple of weeks. It's not that he likes it, or he's slow, I just haven't had the time to get over to CAB to collect it.

So that's 2 weeks with nothing between guitar and amp but a cable. There have been some interesting revelations.. :think:

1. I don't miss the pedals (not as much as I thought I would)

2. I have re-bonded with my long neglected Strat.

3. The amp is currently loaded with JJ tubes because the old Mullards went to Ryan for testing. Every time I a/b them, the Mullards blow the JJ's away. Louder, sweeter, more 3 dimensional. The amp is sounding just fine though.

4. The real kicker: I have learned a bunch of new stuff. With no knobbies and toys to distract me, there's been no choice but to actually play and practice.

This is heresy. It threatens the philosophical essence of GAS.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 249 times

Re: Stripped bare and nowhere to hide.

Post by crowbgood1 »

I did that for a month or so when I put some new valves in. Ya still get to twiddle with the knobs on ya guitar and amp.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Which amp, Slowy?

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

I run my Tele through a reverb pedal with the effect about fully wound down...I still don't know how Phil X does it in that vid of just him a LP and a Tonemaster amp...I still don't have any gain on my amp and hoping the new 12 inch Eminence 8 ohm speaker will bring me some...in the 1x12 cab when I get it... :crazy: Anyway mate I say keep it up and remain the status quo. :thumbup:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I haven't switched on a pedal (other than my tuner) in months. I love being able to get a great sound without them.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Daza152 wrote:.I still don't know how Phil X does it in that vid of just him a LP and a Tonemaster amp...
Go back to the AKL gearfest thread and listen to that clip of barnlaw playing an SX Tele throught benderissimo's Rhinolux....
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Capt. Black wrote:Which amp, Slowy?
Sorry Cappy, I don't have a stash of NOS Mullard EL34s. :(
But as I've probably said already, the addition of a Celestion Blue has made this little rig perfect.
daza2.JPG

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

nice cab.. :wink:

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

slowfingers wrote:Ryan has had my pedalboard for a couple of weeks. It's not that he likes it, or he's slow, I just haven't had the time to get over to CAB to collect it.

So that's 2 weeks with nothing between guitar and amp but a cable. There have been some interesting revelations.. :think:
OMG, sounds just like playing acoustic... just not as straightforward ;)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:
OMG, sounds just like playing acoustic... just not as straightforward ;)
True that. I love my acoustics but electrics have MOAR POWAH!!! :P 8)