druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: What don't you like about Guitars?

Post by druz15 »

babytaylor wrote:I hate GAS. I love guitar, but hate how much time I actually spend obsessing over gear I want but don't actually need, rather than playing the damn thing.

Oh, and the price.
actually this. If there was a way to shut myself off from outside influences about gear and stuff and make me just play (other than pure willpower obviously) I would do it.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

Post by malevolentsparkle »

when at parties or whatever people say "oh you can play guitar? play [insert song here]!" which you either: 1. have never heard of, 2. have never played, 3. have played but can't remember it on the spot, or 4. can play it but they also expect you to sing it!

but then I'm the kind of person who doesn't really memorise songs very often.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

OpenCoil wrote:I genuinely can't think of anything that I don't like about guitars. Aside from my lack of playing ability, of course, but that's no fault of guitars. I actually like the limitations of the design of guitars. I know that sounds completely backwards. But, if a guitar was totally comfortable and easy to play, always sounded absolutely brilliant, never went out of tune, never required any kind of maintenance or setup, I think it would be a very sterile experience and it wouldn't hold my interest for long. I spent a large portion of my life wanting to be an engineer, and trying to be precise and perfect, and I grew to hate those ideas. And that's one of the reasons I came to love guitars - because they're not precise and perfect. That's what I like about guitars which, paradoxically, makes them perfect, I suppose.
I agree mostly with this, their imperfections are what makes them perfect. I love it when you've got to battle with your instrument for a while until you can wring the notes out of it that you wanted, it can ad drama to a song in performance. It would be nice if you could still get 59 les pauls for $300 like back in the 50's however. That would be my only gripe.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

WellyBlues wrote:
babytaylor wrote:I hate GAS. I love guitar, but hate how much time I actually spend obsessing over gear I want but don't actually need, rather than playing the damn thing.
At last you finally.....oh it's not you Daza! :lol:
Ha I don't gas over gear I don't need....just spend more time on here than playing :crazy:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7747 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

mr_sooty wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:I hate that there's no perfect one, and if there was a perfect one, it'd be way out of my league.

Wait, was this guitars or women?
Don't sell yourself short Cam, you've got a lot going for you :)
Thanks. Pretty sure chicks prefer guys with jobs though. :lol:
Not in the mongrel mob! :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

This is for electric guitars: I don't like that its about the ONLY modern instrument which sounds so bad by itself, that it has to be 'enhanced' with all sorts of electronic effects before being able to be played in public. I mean, pick up a bass and plug it into an amp and you're away - pick up a guitar and plug it into an amp and it sounds like shit - (according to all of you here - I bow to your collective wisdom).
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

You're doing it wrong :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Rog wrote:This is for electric guitars: I don't like that its about the ONLY modern instrument which sounds so bad by itself, that it has to be 'enhanced' with all sorts of electronic effects before being able to be played in public. I mean, pick up a bass and plug it into an amp and you're away - pick up a guitar and plug it into an amp and it sounds like shit - (according to all of you here - I bow to your collective wisdom).
:lol:
I would have agreed if I hadn't just spent 3 weeks without my pedalboard. While it's nice to have the toys back, I got to really enjoy the individual naked tones of my 3 amps.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

malevolentsparkle wrote:when at parties or whatever people say "oh you can play guitar? play [insert song here]!" which you either: 1. have never heard of, 2. have never played, 3. have played but can't remember it on the spot, or 4. can play it but they also expect you to sing it!
And when you do play it, they either wander off or start talking loudly. :twisted:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Intonation! Or lack thereof.
Also, that most guitarists seem to have something against being perfectly in tune. (Outside the realms of what the intonation causes)
Ummm....

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

BG wrote:You're doing it wrong :P
That's a given!!

Mind you, my guitar amp these days is a modelling amp anyway, so I can't talk.... :lol:
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

through my tweed vibrolux clone, I put a bit of overdrive sometimes just because its lacking a gain stage due to the trem circuit, but I'm more than happy just playing a strat clean through it. Its lush :) As I am with either of the Bellbirds....
The bogner just needs a lead... these days I don't even use a floor tuner, just a clip on ;)

I use more effects on the resonators as I like some reverb for the slow songs...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

What don't you like about Guitars?

Post by Pastasauce »

I'm also all about plugging straight into the amp.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7747 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Rhettsauce wrote:I'm also all about plugging straight into the amp.
This week. :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Nothing ever came easy with them, thousands of hours playing. When I do I love it, never had a moment of meh and put it away. Yet it seems so hard just to pick it up & play, like it's some kind of chore.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus