Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Amplitube Noob

Post by Slowy »

OK, in the interests of open mindedness and not willingly being a luddite, I have been exploring my nephew's Amplitube software.
Listening through good Sennheiser monitor headphones, I spent some hours with it yesterday.

All the amp models and settings produced a latency which felt like a rapid slapback. I found 3 pedals which seemed to cure it.

All OD and distortion tones had a horrible raspy fizz to them. Couldn't dial it out whatever I did.

So... what am I doing wrong? Or do some of you really prefer inflatable dolls to the real thing?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Re: Amplitube Noob

Post by Bg »

what hardware are you using? is this on PC or iphone/ipad?

I get zero latency on PC using Saffire firewire interface, sounds great to me through senheisers too :) I don't use it on iphone/ipad, I don't see the point. The good capt does though so I'm sure he'll be here soon to slap you about further.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

If on PC, check out if the card has ASIO drivers and you are using the ASIO driver in amplitube, if not install ASIO4ALL as it will make a HUGE difference :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

slowfingers wrote:OK, in the interests of open mindedness and not willingly being a luddite, I have been exploring my nephew's Amplitube software.
Listening through good Sennheiser monitor headphones, I spent some hours with it yesterday.

All the amp models and settings produced a latency which felt like a rapid slapback. I found 3 pedals which seemed to cure it.

All OD and distortion tones had a horrible raspy fizz to them. Couldn't dial it out whatever I did.

So... what am I doing wrong? Or do some of you really prefer inflatable dolls to the real thing?
I found much the same thing (apart from the latency that is) although there are some models that I thought sounded OK. I've managed to get good Vox tones from every version of Amplitube I've used and the blackface Fender models aren't too bad but I generally prefer other options for amp modeling. On iOS I really like the amps in Garageband and (strangely) Peavey's Ampkit is pretty decent sounding too. Avid Eleven and Logic's Amp Designer are my main go-tos in Mac land.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I have Amplitube 3 and some of the OD's ARE terribly fizzy, I usually just use the diode overdrive to add more gain as it's more like a boost with a bit of gain rather than a mid humpy OD pedal.

Hate the Vox models on 3, my favourite is the Orange, sounds fantastic wound up, especially in conjunction with a bassman or Plexi setup.

I actually did a lot of overdubs on our album using it because I can't crank my amp in our apartment. Sits in the mix perfectly, and at times I managed to get a more 'real' sounding track then the actual scratch tracks that I was replacing (probably because they were rushed crank the amp and shove a 57 in front of the grille jobs)

I don't get any latency when using my Presonus interface, but I guess on a PC like JB said depending on what you're plugging into and the drivers used you can get some problems
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Amplitube Noob

Post by Capt. Black »

Watch the input level with any of the amp modeling software. You might find the fizzies are caused by clipping the input.

Also take into account the fact that listening through headphones is like listening to the middle of the speaker in a real amp. That's usually home of the shrill and fizzie stuff that our knees cop while our way off centre ears enjoy those beautifully crafted tones we spend so much time and money chasing.

On the subject of iPad amps, I been using the amplitude stuff but also demoing GuitarTone. Very impressed with that so far.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Amplitube Noob

Post by Pastasauce »

druz15 wrote:I actually did a lot of overdubs on our album using it because I can't crank my amp in our apartment.
Man, and I was just thinking of buying your album too. Who can you trust these days?

Did you record it in China too?

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

druz15 wrote:I actually did a lot of overdubs on our album using it because I can't crank my amp in our apartment.
How many pieces on the album?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote:
:clap:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Rhettsauce wrote:
Man, and I was just thinking of buying your album too. Who can you trust these days?

Did you record it in China too?
Vince wrote:
so much comedy bronze.

It was recorded in china but mastered in Japan.
it's a 16 piece mostly sawdust album but we waved some Honduras Mahogany over it so we can sell it at a higher premium.

[pedant] actually my Greco is 1 piece [/pedant]
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Thanks for the pre derail comments Guys. :D
ASIO Drivers: Check
Presonus prewatchamacallit thingy: Check

Latency fixed. Wasn't latency. The Presonus can send a clean signal direct to the headphones. Turn down the dry signal volume knobbie and problem solved.

As for the rest, I'm really trying to join the 21st Century. Truth is though, so far the thing I like most about this rig is that it makes a Lunchbox slapped with a Chilli Picoso sound utterly godlike.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Always found I could get better toan out of guitar rig rather than amplitube, most of the software modellers do the high gain stuff brilliantly, but the softer stuff not so well :(

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

HD500.

I prefer amplitube to guitar rig, the fender models are really very good.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I'll try to shake off the holiday sloth long enough to have another crack at it.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

An makes joining in on forum jams much less work.

Will save you taking your flash drive to York Street to record your 40 sec slot.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.