Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Pedal through an overdriven amp

Post by Tonemaker »

Willow had the best advice when I was on a mad pedal hunt, he said why don't I just get am amp that does the sound I want with no pedals... After hearing Higainers Mojave, then getting one and putting in a few mods that I wanted, there is no need for an od pedal, tones from clean to plexi to higain, no prob, I have a few tone stack choices so I can cut mids , not scooped, or bright caps that add mid punch and clarity ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Tonemaker on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Re: Pedal through an overdriven amp

Post by jeremyb »

Kris wrote:i used to use the fx loop to bypass the pre on my 800,then flavour with what ever pedal to suit:)
This seems like a good idea, you could run a A-B switch and have A: go into the amp input and B: into something like a sansamp pedal which is plugged into the effects return :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Pedal through an overdriven amp

Post by Eruera »

I used an LS2 to insert a DLS into the power section of my TH30, gave it a monster third channel

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

werdna wrote:Good advice on the pickup front. I'll bang in a different pickup.
Just another reminder, modern hi gain tone rule no.1: don't scoop your mids (unless you are stuck in the 90's).

If you don't really feel like shelling out $200 for a Bareknuckle, Dimarzio D activator-X (DP222) is pretty alright for a cheaper and readily available choice imo. Got one in my BC Rich, it's pretty cool.
Miza wrote:I think pedal makers stopped caring about artists and followed the money to bedroom players, who are using their amps on 0.5 volume but still want the big stack sound.
You still get more TS/SD-1 variations coming from pedal manufacturers than foundation overdrives, they are much easier to develop and people do seem to buy into these.

Foundation overdrives are handy if you are in a touring band and have no idea what backline you will be getting.
NZRS_Matt wrote:Here's a blog I wrote on this subject a few years ago
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/community/blo ... ost-oh-my/
Just some little things. Satriani actually use DS-1 for his distortion. Although both of his signature heads are capable of high gain, he basically just use the clean channels to run the DS-1. He reckons the DS-1 gives him a more "consistent" sound all across the fretboard (probably due to the compression/lack of dynamic).
I heard that SRV mostly uses TS as distortion as well, he mostly use big clean amps anyway.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

godgrinder wrote: Just some little things. Satriani actually use DS-1 for his distortion. Although both of his signature heads are capable of high gain, he basically just use the clean channels to run the DS-1. He reckons the DS-1 gives him a more "consistent" sound all across the fretboard (probably due to the compression/lack of dynamic).
This is indeed true. I discovered this after I wrote that article.
godgrinder wrote: I heard that SRV mostly uses TS as distortion as well, he mostly use big clean amps anyway.
Nah, Stevie Ray used to use cranked amps (of a Fender-ish nature) that were "gritty" and then boost them with a Tube Screamer.
Legit SRV tone cannot be had with a TS into a clean amp.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

NZRS_Matt wrote:
godgrinder wrote: I heard that SRV mostly uses TS as distortion as well, he mostly use big clean amps anyway.
Nah, Stevie Ray used to use cranked amps (of a Fender-ish nature) that were "gritty" and then boost them with a Tube Screamer.
Legit SRV tone cannot be had with a TS into a clean amp.
Actually maybe I'm wrong on that. I can't find any evidence to substantiate this claim.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

NZRS_Matt wrote:Actually maybe I'm wrong on that. I can't find any evidence to substantiate this claim.
I'm not entirely sure either. Some articles says he uses it as a boost, some says as distortion. My assumption is based on that he uses a 150w Dumble SSS which is probably as clean as you can possibly get... The Dumble probably plays a good part in the tone he gets and the TS can't do the job alone.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by handsoffmatt »

godgrinder wrote:
NZRS_Matt wrote:Actually maybe I'm wrong on that. I can't find any evidence to substantiate this claim.
I'm not entirely sure either. Some articles says he uses it as a boost, some says as distortion. My assumption is based on that he uses a 150w Dumble SSS which is probably as clean as you can possibly get... The Dumble probably plays a good part in the tone he gets and the TS can't do the job alone.
That is true. Though he of course used MANY amps (often simultaneously) including Vibroverbs, Twin Reverbs, Marshalls and god knows what else.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

NZRS_Matt wrote:
godgrinder wrote:
That is true. Though he of course used MANY amps (often simultaneously) including Vibroverbs, Twin Reverbs, Marshalls and god knows what else.
That's it, really. SRV's rig changed a bit over the years, but it was more about adding different elements and combining them in different configurations than replacing them. His basic rig was a Marshall Club and Country for his cleans; a Vibroverb for the grit, pushed over the edge with a TS; and the Dumble SSS in and out of the mix. And he used .013s, tuned to Eb, etc.

For everything you ever wanted to know about SRV's gear and toanz - http://www.stevieray.com/gear.htm
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Can you give us an example of the modern overdrive sound u are after?
Could it be you just need to turn the gain down and turn the power section up? Usually tightens things up. :P

Sustainz
Squier

Post by Sustainz »

Scooter13 wrote:Can you give us an example of the modern overdrive sound u are after?
Could it be you just need to turn the gain down and turn the power section up? Usually tightens things up. :P
+1. That fixes a lot of issues with da toanz.

Sustainz
Squier

Post by Sustainz »

willow13 wrote:
werdna wrote:
This whole pedal thing is a dead end.
you have your answer here .... get an amp that has the tone you want and run straight in for the WIN
Wisdom.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Scooter13 wrote:Could it be you just need to turn the gain down and turn the power section up? Usually tightens things up. :P
Wait.... Power amp distortion in a JCM800 is ANYTHING but tight.
Ummm....

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

sopachrga wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:Could it be you just need to turn the gain down and turn the power section up? Usually tightens things up. :P
Wait.... Power amp distortion in a JCM800 is ANYTHING but tight.
Oh really? I was generalising with tongue in cheek. I've never played an actual 800. Plexi, 900 and 2000 yes, 800 nope, only modelled.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Driving a power amp harder generally never makes things tighter.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world