sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Click track: "Feel" versus In-time

Post by sopachrga »

stuu wrote:or is it just a case of being OCD?
This for sure. But, I kinda like it that way. :lol:
Ummm....

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

When you factor in the inherently diminished mental capacity of a drummer, you're asking for trouble throwing in another distraction.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

stuu wrote:When you factor in the inherently diminished mental capacity of a drummer, you're asking for trouble throwing in another distraction.
Never had any trouble with drummers; fine fellows all.
Singers, on the other hand...... :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

cool thread.

I find the type of click used is crucial. When Ive used clicks with a drummer (which is quite rarely) I look for a sound and a beat that the drummer is not playing....so say a cow bell on the ands....or or a cabasa playing the and a beats...or better still, a chord part that maps the song
like this one where I think they created the click part then decided to leave it in the mix....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8zrKnkd6ss

lets the band groove around the part.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I saw something written where Dusty Hill was working a bit with Lightning Hopkins. Dusty commented on his odd time signatures, the old bluesman replied "Lightnin' change when Lightnin' want to"
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Yeh... no click and a good drummer
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I reckon if the drummer wants to do it then its up to him. I also think if he's good enough he will make it work in a really positive and creative ways. I guess the key is he still "listens " to the rest of the band

on a similar note I have been wondering the same thing with songs I am recording. Because I do everything myself I either "write" the click myself or find patterns that fit what i'm doing then do guitar parts and then drummers along to the guitar parts....I get worried that it lacks that feel you get from jamming and maybe starts getting robotic. Not really much I can do about really
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

willow13 wrote:I reckon if the drummer wants to do it then its up to him. I also think if he's good enough he will make it work in a really positive and creative ways. I guess the key is he still "listens " to the rest of the band

on a similar note I have been wondering the same thing with songs I am recording. Because I do everything myself I either "write" the click myself or find patterns that fit what i'm doing then do guitar parts and then drummers along to the guitar parts....I get worried that it lacks that feel you get from jamming and maybe starts getting robotic. Not really much I can do about really
Wouldn't worry about that. I reckon you'd find 90% of modern rock is written that way now.
As long as when you go to record it for the public to hear, you let a real drummer do the drums. Guitarist written drums tend to be super boring.
Ummm....

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

sopachrga wrote: you let a real drummer do the drums. Guitarist written drums tend to be super boring.
and there's the real problem because haven't been able to find a drummer (looking for over a year) and yes the drum tracks I "play" are beyond awful :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

slowfingers wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that the only thing in Metallica's drummer's in ear monitor was a click track.
It would probably work well for you guys with your complex riffage.
Lars uses a click track because he cannot keep time at all. There are a few vids around of the band taking the piss out of him when recording their last album because they were trying to do it without a click and he just couldn't cope.

Click tracks work well for complex music as you say, as that requires precision, but if your timing is naturally solid and you know where you sit in reference to the beat, you can still add a level of organic feel, play slightly ahead or behind and use it as another tool to control the dynamics of what you are playing.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I think that when people say playing to a click kills the feel, they are not really talking about timing.
I believe what they are trying to say is that their mind is concentrating on saying in time with the click at the expense of communication with other band members.

I have to say that I've played in a band with a drummer who always listens to a click. We don't hear it at all.
The good thing is that he is rock solid all the time.
The bad thing is that it is often impossible to call spontaneous changes or get him to ramp up the tempo when it feels appropriate.
On balance, I don't like a drummer playing to a click.

In the studio, I've recorded a number of bands using a click track. It makes it easier to correct timing issues and fluctuations, especially when there are complex arrangements and tempo changes.

But in all the cases where it was necessary to use a click, it was because the drummer was not really up to it. So at least we could quantise the fuck out of the drum tracks. :evil:

The best performances I have recorded have been without a click or any fixity uppingness in the DAW. But then, awesome musicians can do that.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

I like them for count ins as most drummers I play with are way off, like nerves making them speed up or whatever, but the count in only works a dream, you just need a hint.