sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

What is 'THE' Rat sound?

Post by sopachrga »

I've never owned or even been in to the Rat pedals and all their variations.
Everyone always seems to compare the new versions to the original and judge them based on how close they are to it.

So what is this elusive original Rat tone? What songs/demos etc show it off the best?
Ummm....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7738 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Re: What is 'THE' Rat sound?

Post by jeremyb »

I have an Eno one for sale for $30, does the modern and vintage Rat sounds :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

That's not what he was asking...can't help either though...I've hated every rat pedal I've tried!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

aliasceiza wrote:That's not what he was asking...can't help either though...I've hated every rat pedal I've tried!
For sure, but he could borrow it and try it out ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Built a Rat in a 1590A once, Ironbird13 liked it. First pedal where he didn't automatically kick the gain up.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Song 2 by Blur is a good example. When he feels heavy metal, and he's pins and he's needles.

All the rhythm on Kill 'Em All. Both Coxon and Hetfield using Marshall 1959's also.

There's a bunch of RAT clones/copies that probably do just as good'a job out there. I know JHS pedals mods the new ones to sound as good as the old ones if you send it in to them.
Make Music Great Again

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sopachrga »

Hmm, interesting. Cant say either of those tones are of much attraction to me.
Seeing as I've never used or owned one, I often wonder if I'm missing out on something. Haha.
Ummm....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

:lol:

To post something useful, out of the stuff I like... early Radiohead (e.g. The Bends) Omar's guitar tracks on Relationship of Command, REM's Monster, Placebo's Without You I'm Nothing, pretty sure Nuno used one on the early Extreme albums :)

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sopachrga »

jeremyb wrote::lol:
REM's Monster
hmm, that's a pretty cool tone. Wonder how much of it comes from post production though.
Ummm....

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

To be honest, it's a funny old pedal. The first 1/3 on the dial is overdrive, the middle 1/3 is distortion, and the last 1/3 is fuzz.
I know the first Foo Fighters album is Rat into AC30, and Eric Johnson uses one in the way I'd use one. It's really compressed and can do a greasy hair metal sound but works really well at low gain levels into AC30's.

The main difference between the older Rats (big box, whiteface) and the newer rats (Rat II) is the midrange. There's a slightly different filter which makes the older Rats sound less gainy and have a more marshally midrange. The Rat II sounds more 'greasy' and hair-metal. It's not chalk and cheese though, they're pretty close.

The mooer/eno clones are excellent clones of the Rat II and if you were after a Rat I'd hit one of those first. If you were after the older Rat sound, try and find an early Big Box RI or buying You Dirty Rat, changing the diodes to silicon, changing the filter resistor to 1.5k, the compensation cap to 30p and maybe the RC caps to be tantalum. Or buy a Fat Rat.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote:...pretty sure Nuno used one on the early Extreme albums :)
He actually still uses a RAT as his main OD/distortion today. I've watched a few recent interviews with him, and with the exception of his amps his gear has changed very little over the last 25 years.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

'THE' Rat sound I would describe as...

Tight, crunchy gain in the lower ranges with a healthy midrange that gets looser as you wind it up and tops out at near heavy fuzz levels of compression and sustain. You can see why it's been used by such a huge diversity of bands and players because it's pretty flexible.

However, palm mutes at high gain just sound weird in that the attack is slightly spongey.

I've had a DIY Rat clone and a Mooer but they both paled in comparison to my 1980s vintage Rat. Shame that it needs an adapter to run off powersupply and it's a tonesucker too.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

A rat into an AC30 is a glorious thing, but I couldn't get to grips with the eno clone I had, my AC15 wasn't that fond of dirt pedals tho'...

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

jeremyb wrote:my AC15 wasn't that fond of dirt pedals tho'...
:?:

Wtf was wrong with it? Which model did you have.

AC15s and Dirt pedals are like sponge-baths and Claudia Schiffer, they just GO together
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

druz15 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:my AC15 wasn't that fond of dirt pedals tho'...
:?:

Wtf was wrong with it? Which model did you have.

AC15s and Dirt pedals are like sponge-baths and Claudia Schiffer, they just GO together
AC15C1, everyone says you need to clip the bright cap if you wanna use dirt pedals with it, which may be true... but....

I found fuzzes were ok, the musket was awesome thru it, but pretty much any OD's or Distortions I tried just sounded meh :(